Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatched!!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_103628.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	773702
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1967.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	773703

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	773704
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; November 26, 2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good! Hoping for that in the morning!

I parted and SVQ'd for this year. Haven't tasted it yet, but after doing it, I'm thinking there is nothing like that whole big bird roasting away and filling the house with that beautiful scent.

Comment

It depends.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        The definitive answer. ;-)

I split 2 12# fresh turkeys to be cooked in the PBC.

Comment

We are smoking two 10lb turkeys. I’m going to remove the bone and wrap in a roll. One will have minimal seasoning the other I’m going to go with heavy pepper and a little BBBR .

Comment

I’m splitting a 13 lb. turkey.

Half will be smoked on the Weber with a SnS.

The other half will be oven roasted.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoking became a thing for us so that the oven is free for all the wife’s side dishes. Maybe we need a 3rd oven...

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            With the Turkey being cut in half and lying down I can fit my Green Bean Casserole, Squash, Stuffing and Rolls on the other shelf. I Sous Vide my mash potatoes so I do not need oven space for them once they are cooked.

Deboning and then using the Slow N Sear on the Weber or maybe the Lang ... Thats the only thing im debating. Which one? A grill or a smoker?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Since I have two 19 pounders, even split or parted out, and using the hover grill, I just don’t think the kettle+SnS will handle it, so using my offset, as it has handled up to two 25 pounders with ease in the past. My son in law wants to make smoked Mac-n-cheese and we may fire the kettle up for that.

• jecucolo
            jecucolo commented
            Editing a comment
            What type of seasoning are you going to use?

12lb spatchcocked, grilled on the Performer. Trimmed and dry brined last night. Will use S&G rub tomorrow morning. Making gravy tonight with all the trimmed parts.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m parting out the turkeys this morning and will dry brine until tomorrow morning. I may try my hand at gravy tonight as well with the trimmings.

Spatchcocked

Comment

Spatched the last couple of years. Like the results.

Comment

Well, all I can say is that breaking down two big birds before cooking is a LOT of work! Here’s halfway done, right now it’s all dry brining with some rub on it in addition to kosher salt, on 3 pans in one of the garage fridges. Also good thing I checked the cookers today versus morning, as the offset had a nice mild growth due to forgetting to clean and burn off after a cook back in the summer... it’s been washed and is burning off right now.

I opted not to debone the breast, as I had some concern about drying them out during the cook. I did debone the thighs and tie into a tube, leaving it attached to the leg for the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FE6F354C-E8BB-4522-8EF6-FAE8B9B8DE88.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.97 MB ID:	773923
              Last edited by jfmorris; November 27, 2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Whole using @fzxdoc's lighting method and otherwise just as the PBC website suggests. In the test run a couple of weeks ago, it came out great.

Comment

Just spathcocked two 16 pound birds, salted and seasoned, injected with butter and into the fridge. Not eating till 5 tomorrow so I am putting them in at 2. Hopefully they aren't done WAY too early. Yoder at 225 for 30 minutes for smoke and 350 after that is the plan

Comment

Trying a spatched this year. First time but it looks like a great way to have a well cooked bird.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes,it’s a great way to get a well cooked bird in less time to boot. Once you do it that way you won’t go back.

Whole

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here