Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spatching of the Cock. Part V.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
      Bobmcgahan commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol

Whole and stuffed. I know, I know, but my family insists. But with the methodology I have learned here, I can make a pretty damn good turkey, even a stuffed one. No one has ever complained, and I get rave reviews every time.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up just outside of Baltimore, and we always had a stuffed turkey. I never got sick from one, but I can tell you that I always preferred the dark meat when I was growing up.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      The breast was always a bit dry. 😬

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Give the people what they want.

I'm on Turkey duty and I really wanted to spatchcock one and smoke it on my schmancy smoker... but we go to a friends house and they want what I've turned out in the past on the charbroil big easy SRG... plus I can't figure out the logistics of smoking at my house and then transporting without losing the crispy skin so the MAK will idle this turkey day.... Well not really 'cause it'll be cranking out the appetizers in the form of deviled eggs and maybe I might bake some bread if I can find the time.

Anyway, the 20lber will be cooked whole "fake fried" with a kiss of smoke on site at their house.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I always smoke turkeys here, and every other year carry to my sister in laws 5 miles away. They don’t know enough to carry about the skin, so I just wrap it in foil, drop in a cooler, and take over there to carve.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems to me you could smoke it, cambro it then oil it up and fire it hot in the big easy to crisp the skin. That thing can get really hot right?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose I could try, but too late to experiment this year

Lately, I've spatchcocked, dry brined, injected with butter, rubbed with paprika and smoked hanging in vertical propane smoker at 325+º. Will do the same with a 10 pound heritage turkey for TG this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hung.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	773339

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t help but think that that looks a little bit weird...🤪

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I know right, that picture's actually kind of disturbing

While I know this is a BBQ site we are deep frying the bird again this year. Everyone’s favorite way to prepare turkey. That said spatchcocking and on the smoker was in clear second place over roasting whole.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool - I’ve had fried turkey that was really good, and with my brewing stuff and all the 7.5 to 15.5 gallon pots I have plus the burners, frying is something I ought to do, but I can’t get past all the peanut oil I would end up tossing afterwards.

• Bobmcgahan
      Bobmcgahan commented
      Editing a comment
      What jfmorris said, not to mention the one time I did it, it scared the hell out of me. But it was good. Damn, it was good.

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually get several months out of the peanut oil. Gets better the more it is used.

I prefer spatchcock, but the answer is whole, because I'm married. It's the one question I forgot to ask 49 years ago.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣🤣😂😂

I've done whole, spatchcocked, and parts the past three years. Going with parting it out again. That way more of the work is done before guests arrive. Easier to control proper doneness, too. Can put slower cooking pieces on hotter parts of the smoker.

Comment

I'm wanting to spatch. Concerned my 20# bird will be a tight fit on Large BGE. Anyone with experience smoking that size on on a Large Egg?

Comment

We go to my brothers about 100 miles away where my nephew hosts the entire extended family. He deep fries the turkey, so whole.

Comment

Deep fried, whole. So easy and it tastes great. Never had better skin!

Comment

Spatchcocked. Some years I do a second turnkey in parts on the smoker. Not this year...Thursday’s forecast calls for a high of 49°F and raining. With all the other cooking I’m doing inside I don’t have time to babysit my stickburner to keep temps up in that weather!

Comment

Hi Pit! We are hosting our 4th annual island "Orphan Thanksgiving" for our friends who don't have family on the island and can't travel to see theirs. I've spatchcocked and used Meathead's drip pan on a MAK with amazing results four years in a row. Here's OUR catch. We are expecting heavy rain for two days - Wednesday and Thursday. So MY debate is whether to try getting the MAK under an awning or an umbrella or something, or whether to try separating the bird, sous vide, and then sear on the gasser with grill grates and a few pellets (I KNOW I can get the Weber fired up under the awning for 15 minutes). So, to answer your question, if you don't have weather issues I'd stick to plan A - spatchcock and smoke. I'm anxious to hear other thoughts from the Pit with our weather issues. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comment

Well, was leaning towards spatchcocking - planning on prepping the birds tomorrow morning, but just got informed that dinner at my sister in laws is moved up from 1pm to 12pm. So. 1 hour less to get things done, so I am seriously thinking of parting the turkeys out now, or at least fully splitting them into halves. Split chickens are my favorite way to cook birds over direct charcoal with Grillgrates.

I picked up some B&B lump today, as well as the B&B char logs, thinking of using the char-logs in the offset firebox rather than regular briquettes.

Comment

Some of you folks like turkey a whole lot more than I do. My wife likes it a lot. Mine is strictly obligatory, and I try to disguise the taste as much as possible.

Comment

Got a 20 pounder. I’m splitting it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve got two 19 pounders, figured what the horde doesn’t eat will leave me leftovers for sammies... it’s usually a crowd of 30ish so leftovers may or may not be a thing.

• Beefchop
                      Beefchop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Go big, or go home!

• radshop
                      radshop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll have 15-20 guests. I surveyed a handful and asked if they want the carving-board experience or the best tasting turkey possible by splitting it. The result was unanimous.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here