Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a 12 pounder to spatchcock with S&G rub. Will cook Friday (kids with sig other families complicate matters, don't they?) and make Meathead's gravy. Got a neat disposable roaster pan with built in rack to rest on my Baking Steel heat "deflector" in my vintage Kamado to do the gravy thing.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you on the complications. Two of ours got married the past year, and one is getting married in May.

There will only be the two of us this year, so my wife is buying a fresh breast. I guess that would be considered parts...

Comment

spatch'in a 14lber. Also doing a butt end of a Fricks ham, Meathead style.

Comment

I do them whole as most of you know.
        Only problem with cooking whole is the meat by the wings and knee joints can be/look to be under done depending on the boid.
        I've starting using multiple probes off my iGrill to monitor this.

Comment

Boneless Ballotine.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Are you boning out a whole turkey? That’s pretty tricky. I love a galantine

• RobertC
            RobertC commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey Yeah, whole bird. The turkey comes out evenly cooked and moist. It takes a little more prep time but carving is simple enough that either wife or kids can do it which frees me up to do other last minute things, and the last few minutes before serving and sitting down are sometimes a little crazy. Basically, I'm moving some of the complexity earlier so the ending is simpler.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I totally get that. Nice work there. I’d love to see a pic if you remember. I love that technique, look and overall dish, especially with chicken as I love chicken.

The wife will only go for spatchcock if I can make it look like a whole turkey after it is cooked. LOL it will be a Orange Cranberry Brined Turkey again this year.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife didn’t care when I first spatchcocked a couple of years ago - and it is pretty much a whole bird! I’ve gotten used to the presentation anyway, as has the family. No one here misses the backbone...

5 turkey half-breasts, already PBC-smoked and frozen for emergency backup to the Whole Foods main bird (to be roasted in the oven) at a family gathering. Plan on thawing completely in the fridge, slicing, heating in gravy and serving as needed (with thanks to HouseHomey for his brilliant suggestion) on the day of.
          What's not eaten on Turkey Day will be sliced to make delicious sammies.

Also bringing 2 trays of cooked then frozen meaty-meaty stuffing (stuffing that has a whole PBC-smoked chicken, shredded, and a pound of browned breakfast sausage crumbles added into the traditional-type stuffing recipe.) Plan on thawing completely in the fridge, re-heating in the oven along with Mr. Main Event Turkey, then serving.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 25, 2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, all I can say Kathryn is that I am glad I saw "PBC" in there somewhere - even if it was just in preparation of the stuffing! I figured you to be queen of the PBC thanksgiving turkey...

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't mean to hijack this thread, but @fzxdoc..IF you have time, PLEASE pm me (or post) the recipe for the Meaty-Meaty Stuffing. IT.SOUNDS.AWESOME!!
            Thanx!
            The OmegaDog

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to worry, jfmorris , not only did the chicken for the stuffing get smoked on the PBC, all 5 turkey half-breasts did as well, along with three racks of andouille sausages to help flavor them as they smoked by dripping sausage fat into the fire.

OmegaDog12 , I'm not at home for a while yet, but when I get back to my computer, I'll try to remember to send you the recipe for meaty meaty stuffing. It's super easy.
            Last edited by fzxdoc; December 1, 2019, 05:54 AM.

Just a turkey breast this year because it is just three of us, otherwise, spatchcocked.

Comment

Spatching

Comment

Just three of us this year as well so I'm doing a whole duckling hung PBC style in my WSM. If it were a turkey I would spatch over charcoal or in a pellet cooker.

Comment

Vertical roast.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alright, beer can turkey !!!

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spanek vertical roaster. Can-free turkey.

Spatched on the Primo.

Comment

Beer Keg Turkey...

got one of those mini beer kegs... figured the cans would be too small for the turkey

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A tall boy or a can of Fosters or 22oz Sapporo will work for a turkey. I did one many moons ago on a large Sapporo.

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Potkettleblack , OUTSTANDING.... glad to know that... I haven't yet found anything for Cornish game hens though... incidentally we are doing those for thanksgiving since it will be just my wife and I and then we are doing the family thanksgiving thing on Saturday.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe one of those skinny coke cans. Or one of the short ones.

I believe we are doing a 15 pound on the rotisserie on a Kamado and a 22 pound in the oven, both whole . . . . for 6 adults and 2 young kids

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha that is a COPIOUS amount of turkey for 8 folk - a veritable plethora of turkey in point of fact....

• jumbo7676
                    jumbo7676 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nothing wrong with lots of leftovers for the freezer. I'd say that is something to be thankful for.

My preferred is always the whole bird. I have done parts, breasts, splatchcocked and fryed. There is just something about a 16lb. bird smoking with cherry wood that in our minds means Thanksgiving.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here