Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Whole, spatchcocked, split or parted out on T-Day?

How do you plan to run your turkey this Thursday? I've been spatchcocking the past couple of years, always did them whole before that. Thinking about taking it a step further and splitting the birds this year, just to make placement on the smoker and wrapping up the birds to haul to my in-laws once smoked easier...

I for sure thought there was a way to insert a poll, but am not seeing it now...

parted out.

Comment

I did a whole one yesterday. I should have split it - I asked my wife to get a 12-14lb bird, she came back with a 20lb bird. I was able to squeeze on the wsm, but the breasts were so big, it took longer to cook and it dried out a little. So, I guess I am saying I think splitting is a good idea.

Comment

I spatchcock. I tried it last year and it worked well. I plan to brine, put some herb butter under the skin and add a couple of rubs on top.

Comment

spatched

Comment

Doing two 7lb breasts this year (wrapped in bacon) plus parts. Wife likes the whole turkey when we have a smaller group. We have 13 people coming over this year. She finds the big breasts much easier for large crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
              Doing two 7lb breasts this year (wrapped in bacon) plus parts. Wife likes the whole turkey when we have a smaller group. We have 13 people coming over this year. She finds the big breasts much easier for large crowds.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=15528701.gif
Views:	509
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	773025

Comment

I would put that big bird on the rotisserie. But I know clearance is an issue on your grill so considering that I would spatchcock over charcoal.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No way I could spin even a 10 pound turkey on the Genesis II - chickens were enough of a challenge. The two 19 pound birds are going on the offset, and I’m planning to just feed the firebox charcoal and a couple of cherry and hickory chunks, and keep things rolling around 350. Just gotta decide whether to spatchcock or part it out totally.

Doing 2 spatchcocked turkeys, about 15 lbs each. Going to be cooking on my Ranch with 2 SNS XLs, one on each side and the birds in the middle. Right now I am just assuming they will fit like that. If they don't end up fitting I will fire up my 26 for one of them or maybe the 22 and the 26. Once I spatchcock on Wednesday I will figure all that out.

Comment

spatchcocked this Saturday.

Comment

Last year I tried using a vertical roaster on the suggestion of Potkettleblack and I had great success, so I’m going whole but only because I’m using a vertical roaster rack. It also has the benefit of saving space on the grates for other food.

Comment

Heck if I know...ask my wife, she's cooking this year. I'm sure it will be whole, because that's the way it has always been done. Thankfully she knows how to use and read a digital thermometer and the turkey will not be going into the oven at 05:00 like her mom has been telling her so it will be done by 1:30.

Comment

Spatched, using the method posted on seriouseats.com: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...vy-recipe.html. The bird comes out juicy, crispy skin and a delicious gravy. Done this 3 years running and always a hit.

Comment

I've never done a whole turkey before, but I'm getting two heritage breeds this year (one bourbon red, one standard bronze). Was planning to spatchcock, but now thinking I might fully separate into parts. I'm heading out of town for the holiday, so I'm actually getting these post-Thanksgiving just to cook for my family. Keeping the bird whole for presentation purposes isn't really an issue. Separating parts seems to be the best way to avoid overcooking by pulling pieces off as necessary, so that's what I will likely do. Might even try different cooking methods, like cooking half of each bird on the pellet pooper and cooking half of each on a kettle using a Vortex.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds like fun all the way around. You've got some good eats ahead.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
                            jfmorris commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah, the whole turkey is a presentation thing. I’m considering parting my birds out and just carving it all off the bones into pans, and taking to my inlaws ready to serve, versus carving it over there.

Whole, plus 2 breasts. And some ham. Big crowd this year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here