Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkeys in pans or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkeys in pans or no?

I’m filling up my smokers with turkeys next Wednesday. I have room to use pans but wondered if that effects how they cook. Do they sit in liquid? Does smoke penetrate well? I know it would make cleanup a breeze but im selling these and want them to be really good.

You don't want the turkeys in a pan, even with a raised roasting rack. Without the rack, the turkey sits in drippings and the bottom doesn't cook, well at least the skin doesn't. Even with the roasting rack, the pan blocks airflow in the smoker (reducing smoke of course), and prevents even cooking.

If you use a pan, you want to put it below the cooking grate, to catch drippings, or make a gravy below the bird.

I highly recommend reading the recipe here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-turkey-recipe

The past several years I have been spatchcocking my turkeys, and it cuts an hour or two off of the cooking time, and things cook more evenly in my opinion as well. Presentation is a little different, but not THAT different.

I'll be honest with you. If you are asking these questions, it sounds like you have not smoked a turkey before, at least on the smoker you have now. I sure wouldn't be selling turkeys if I didn't already know the timing and process I was going to use. Maybe you need to do a test run before next Wednesday. And consider that loading your smoker up with multiple turkeys will increase the cooking time, as the large thermal mass of multiple turkeys is a heat sink, reducing cooker temperature. You must insure that the birds don't touch each other, as you need air flow around each bird, on all sides. Any places that touch between birds will keep skin from browning and crisping or getting smoke.
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 20, 2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

+1 on what jfmorris said. Wherever I cook my turkeys, indoors or out, I have a pan at least three inches below the turkey for air circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        You don't want the turkeys in a pan, even with a raised roasting rack. Without the rack, the turkey sits in drippings and the bottom doesn't cook, well at least the skin doesn't. Even with the roasting rack, the pan blocks airflow in the smoker (reducing smoke of course), and prevents even cooking.

If you use a pan, you want to put it below the cooking grate, to catch drippings, or make a gravy below the bird.

I highly recommend reading the recipe here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-turkey-recipe

The past several years I have been spatchcocking my turkeys, and it cuts an hour or two off of the cooking time, and things cook more evenly in my opinion as well. Presentation is a little different, but not THAT different.

I'll be honest with you. If you are asking these questions, it sounds like you have not smoked a turkey before, at least on the smoker you have now. I sure wouldn't be selling turkeys if I didn't already know the timing and process I was going to use. Maybe you need to do a test run before next Wednesday. And consider that loading your smoker up with multiple turkeys will increase the cooking time, as the large thermal mass of multiple turkeys is a heat sink, reducing cooker temperature. You must insure that the birds don't touch each other, as you need air flow around each bird, on all sides. Any places that touch between birds will keep skin from browning and crisping or getting smoke.
        I’ve cooked and sold turkeys for years. But this is the first time I’ve had the room to use pans. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, glad to help - sounds like you've been cooking without pans, so I would continue to do just what you've been doing. Don't mess up a good thing, after all!

I always cook a fully dry brined 16 lber and then rubbed with butter and Simon and Garfunkel rub. To make it it aromatic. I place a pan on the smoke shelf of my Webber 22 with a Smokenator and a DigiQ. Smoke at 325 - 350.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 20, 2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

FWIW I smoke my turkeys in a roasting pan on a rack to keep it out of the drippings and for easier handling when done mind you I'm only doing on boid at a time.
          I cannot comment on smokiness with or with out the pan as I only do with and people do comment on the smoky taste with the pan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here