Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken salad recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken salad recipe

tbob4 here is the recipe. I grilled the chicken this time and like it a lot that way. Not sure if it belongs here or in salads, oh well.

Hatch Green Chile Chicken Salad

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
    Chicken (or smoke it or grill it)
    • 1-3 to 4 pound whole chicken
    • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 leafy cilantro sprig
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    Salad
    • 2 to 4 Hatch, Anaheim, or Poblano chiles
    • 4 cups chicken, cooked, shredded (from above)
    • 2 ears of corn, kernels removed from cob or 1½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
    • 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
    • 1 large celery rib, finely diced
    • ½ medium red onion, finely diced
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • Pinch cayenne or Aleppo pepper flakes
    • ¾ cup mayonnaise, or more to taste
    • 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
    • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
    • Salt

Preparation:
    1. Chicken: Place the chicken breast side down in a large pot along with the garlic, bay leaf, cilantro, salt, and peppercorns. Add enough water to the pot to cover the chicken. On high heat, bring the pot to a boil and then turn the heat down to low. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
    2. After an hour, remove the chicken with tongs and place in a large bowl and allow to cool for 20 minutes. If you like, you can strain the broth and reserve it for another use. Once the chicken has cooled, remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken with your hands or 2 forks. You should have about 4 cups of chicken meat.
    3. As the chicken is cooking, roast the Hatch, Anaheim, or Poblano chiles under the broiler until blackened, about 5 minutes per side. Place the chiles in a paper sack or plastic food-storage bag, close it tight and let the chiles steam for 20 minutes. After the chiles have steamed, remove from the bag and rub off the skin. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and dice.
    4. Salad: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the chicken, diced green chiles, corn, jalapeño, celery, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, mayonnaise, mustard, and lime juice until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add salt if needed, and if the salad seems too dry, feel free to add more mayonnaise, too.
    Note: If you want to cut down on the fat, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for some or all of the mayonnaise. If you do this, taste before adding the mustard to make sure the salad isn’t too tangy.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/0...ken-salad.html
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Chick Salad 11-19.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	764507
    Last edited by ofelles; November 2, 2019, 07:06 PM. Reason: Add picture

Thank you very much!!!! I would edit your post (above) and insert that earlier photo of your chicken dish with this recipe. It really looked delicious.
    Last edited by tbob4; November 2, 2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      good idea. done
      Last edited by ofelles; November 2, 2019, 07:07 PM.

Right up my ally. I love salads. Burgers, chicken and pork too but I digress. Have i told you I could eat mayo with a spoon?

simple, flavorful and clean. Love the Aleppo pepper too.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the mayo thing is taboo here - especially on hot dogs. If I can remember correctly, fuzzydaddy and I are the only ones who admit to liking it on hot dogs. Fuzzydaddy can correct me if I am wrong.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 you've got it right. I sometimes dip fries and onion rings in mayo. I often "season" my mayo with things like sriracha sauce, hot sauce, or a rub.
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; November 3, 2019, 06:13 AM. Reason: Edited to add some of the things I mix in with my mayo.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 fuzzydaddy oh man. Dogs are the only thing I don’t put it on. I’ll still eat it though. I just don’t. I am mayo deprived the last year. Very little for me as I’m down to 250lbs. God I love that stuff on fries with hot sauce. Oh man. I do eat a lot of home made ranch though so it has mayo.

Sounds mighty tasty.

Comment

This looks fantastic. Can’t wait to try it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here