Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Advice Needed

My stepdaughter is hosting Thanksgiving this year. We usually host and I smoke the turkey at home. I will still cook the turkey, but we have to transport it about an hour away to her house. I have several questions:

1. Do I cook it and carve it the day before at my house?
    2. Do I cook it on Thanksgiving Day and transport it whole to her house and carve it there?
    3. Do I cook it on Thanksgiving day carve it at my house and transport it to her house?

I think all scenarios will require some reheating of the turkey so do I undercook to some degree.

Any help would be appreciated

Cook at home on Thanksgiving Day; faux-cambro to keep in safe zone; transport to daughter's home and carve there. Think about a way to crisp the skin when you unwrap it.

It worked for me.

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      What she said, but break it down into airline breasts and leg quarters. Broiler crisps the skin nicely without drying it out.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what she said.....

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Id do what she said & buy one of those butane torch heads and a bottle and hit it before carving like you’re making creme brûlée.

#2 has worked best for me if I have the timing right.

Comment

#2 also. Once you carve (like brisket) it starts drying. Wrap it up and go!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Not if it’s fully rested and wrapped accordingly.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I bow to your knowledge master. HouseHomey

I’m gonna take a different approach than my esteemed BBQ masters above.

if you just forget about the crispy skin for one second then options open up on the cook and reheat.

My advice:
      Cook for the meat on such a large protein and important day. Crisp skin in this case is a bonus like the lasagna edge that’s still edible.

Cook the day of as a suggested by fzxdoc as that’s always best. Transport holding appropriately. If you need to reheat do it in parts in liquid like broth or stock and slowly to warm. I suggest the liquid the gravy will be made with. I personally would bust that sucker up then reheat. That way you are done with the turkey mess too.

I would not apply any more heat to it for Skin crisping. Any rest given to such a large piece of meat will limp the skin. The drawback to resting is always the skin. Warm bird is still good.

i personally would focus on the meat.

what's undercook? I never ever intentionally cook my birds to 165° that’s just crazy talk.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        How about bust it up remove skin and reheat. Broil the skin separately for a snack?

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777 or just drop it in the fryer. I guess my point is.... it’s ok to not always have cracklings. The meat is the start. Salty, flavorful, uncrispy skin is delicious.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Costco and other grocery stores sell a gajillion rotisserie chickens every week. Not one of those has crisp skip. In fact it’s dreadfully soft..... but so darn good.

I’m also a #2 guy. We’ve done this several times and it’s always been great.

Comment

#2 make sure you wrap it well in foil and towels and blankets to keep it warm. We often don't eat ours for an hour or more after it comes off the grill.

Comment

#@ is our go to

Comment

A trick I picked up on this site for holding is to heat a couple three or four bricks on a grill or in the oven to about 160 degrees F. Put finished Turkey in pans top and bottom or pan on bottom and cover with foil. Towel bottom of cooler, add a few warmed bricks, add Turkey pan(s), towel top, add a few bricks, towel over bricks, close cooler. Transport. I usually will preheat cooler with hot water.

When you get there, remove Turkey, rip skin off and carve and serve. I have held turkey like this for a couple hours and it is as good as fresh cooked.

I usually will smoke to about 155 IT at about 280-300.
            Last edited by lostclusters; October 26, 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here