Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey sous-vide help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey sous-vide help

Hey.. I just tried the turkey sous-vide recipe, and it came out a little dry and tough...especially the breast meat.. was it overcooked or undercooked??? I sous-vide for 14 hours at 140, and then grilled.. hum.. how do you tell??? Meathead?????

I don't have a lot of experience on sous vide but do on turkeys. Your bird definitely sounds over cooked. Since it was fully cooked when you put it on the grill to smoke you only had to smoke it a short time. A couple of questions, how big was the bird and what was the temp did you take it off at. Some one with more SV experience will be able to help you.

Guys a little help here please.

Comment

I don't SV birds. Most of the stuff I have read here talk about poultry getting "mushy" when SV'd too long. Much like marinated meat. I am sure you will get lots of help with the question and I will be reading along with you for advice.

Comment

You might want try again and shoot for 12 hours max, also, how long did you grill it?

Comment

All great and helpful ideas.. I must have grilled it too long and too hot.. Question.. if poultry has cooked for 12 hours at 140, must it reach 160 to be safe???

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you take it to 160 on the grill? If so, that was your problem. Try not to let the IT get above SV temp.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            What Red Man just said. You exceeded your SV internal temp and probably over cooked that sucker. Rule of thumb, always keep your final smoke/grill internal finishing temp at or below your SV cooking temp.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely not. 140 for 14 hours has pasteurized that bird.

No. Safety depends on temp plus time. That is one of the theories behind SV

Comment

I have not sous vide turkey as of yet, but many chickens. There are a lot of variables that you haven’t explained. Was it whole or pieces, just the breast etc. so I when I go to cook something sous vide I search the web and see a lot of different options to use.
            here is a link to serious eats on a sous vide turkey.

after I sous vide a protein, I shock it in ice and cold water (usually cause I cook ahead of time) then fridge it for a day or so). Then slap it on a smoker and bring it to a temp just below what the sous vide cooked it to.
            that article answers a few of your questions about the safety temp of the meats also.
            I know there are other web sites on this subject but make sure it is a reputable site on times and temps. Find one that you trust or, well, you’ll be flying outta the chicken coup to the emergency room.
            on my chickens, I sous vide em in halves and vacuum em.

Comment

• trasmc
              trasmc commented
              Editing a comment
              I have used this Serious Eats recipe (slightly modified) a number of times. I use breast meat (prepared the way it is described) and put it in the hot tube at 142 for about 10 hours. I then sear it on a very hot pan / skillet with butter for about 45 - 60 seconds per side. It's not smoked but overall it's excellent, moist, and not mushy at all. The crispy skin is also very good - I follow the recipe exactly for this.

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              I've also sous vide some chickens in halves; they turned out to be some of the best I've ever had - especially the white meat which I normally do not like. I'm thinking about sous vide turkey this Thanksgiving - prepare ahead and then carry to family for celebration.

In his article he cooked it at 145 for 2 1/2 hours. But that was just the breast. Now I’m no expert like the others on this site ( some like to cook way longer) but from my understanding, the longer the bath, it will change the texture of the meat. Again, I am still experimenting with my sous vide.

Comment

rscurry D-values are established as a baseline at specific temps. Arbitrary numbers here: At 140-F it takes 2.0 minutes to achieve a 1-Log reduction (there was 10 microbes and only 1 was left after 2.0 minutes) of Salmonella. If we want a 7-log reduction we multiply 7 (from the log decrease we want) with the time (2.0 minutes, what we got for 1-log) and we get 14 minutes. So in theory with this example using "my" numbers, if you cook for 14 minutes at 140-F you might have 1 microbe left if you had 10 million to start with.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                My luck that one microbe would find its way into my gut....ugh

Here is a link to Meathead cooking Turkey Sous Vide. He recommends breaking down the bird. Comes from the Joule website Chef Steps.

Every year, your social media feeds are full of them: picture-perfect turkeys displayed splendidly on elegant tables—the beautiful browned skin, the stuffing tumbling out of a neatly trussed bird, the always-impressive carving ritual. But while those whole birds look great, let’s be real: they probably taste only okay. Because even your most obnoxiously lifestyle-adept friends can’t get around one basic fact: different cuts of meat need different cooking times and techniques. So when you cook your bird as an intact beast at one temp in one oven, it’s nearly impossible to get juicy, succulent breasts and tender, fall-off-the-bone legs.

Enter sous vide. By breaking down your turkey and cooking light and dark meat separately, you bring out the best in both. Presearing the bird locks in flavor, and finishing at the end results in the crispiest, most deeply delicious skin you ever tasted. Arrange it all lovingly on a platter and take a pic, and you may just break the internet.

But let’s not just break it; let’s break it with a giant, smoky bang. Let’s invite grilling guru Meathead Goldwyn—founder of the uber-authoritative Amazingribs.com—to the feast. As we know from previous hangs, Meathead has a knack for taking our favorite techniques and pushing them one giant, flavor-packed step forward. Think of it like this: we’ll show you how to get perfectly cooked turkey, and then Meathead will show you how to finish it on the grill for a smoke-imbued, utterly addictive centerpiece dish that will blow minds this T-Day. If you want to brag about it on Instagram, well, we support that instinct entirely. You cooked utterly gorgeous, epically delicious turkey, after all. We think you deserve a little Instagram glory. Who says Taylor and Glen should have all the fun?

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice video with that Chef Steps link too. Thanks, Old Glory for posting the link.

K.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, this is exactly what I needed - I think, if I can convince the wife, this is what I'll do this Thanksgiving!

Thanks to all for such great information and insights.. obviously I over grilled/heated the turkey.. I can't wait to try again before thanksgiving.. Mostly, Its been educational about the time/temp aspect of food safety, and sv..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here