Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asian Inspired Quail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Inspired Quail

Growing up in the Midwest, I always enjoyed bird hunting with my cousins. Although I don't do it any longer, I still cook game birds on a regular basis. Usually make up some sort of marinade and grill the little beasties like you would miniature chickens. For this cook I wanted something different so we went with quail done with an Asian inspired marinade. Also reserved some of the marinade and made a dandy finishing sauce to further accentuate the Asian flavor profile.

Started with some farm raised quail sourced here in Texas. Spatchcocked them, dressed them out with salt and pepper and let them hang out in the refrigerator while I made up my marinade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quail 05.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	755462

For the Marinade (enough for 8 quails);

3 tablespoons BBQ sauce (used Salt Lick's Honey Pecan)
    3/4 cup light soy sauce
    3/4 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    4 cloves garlic minced
    2 tablespoons minced ginger

Took the quail and placed them in a 2 gallon plastic resealable bag. Combined all the ingredients for the marinade and added it to the bag. I refrigerated for about 5 hours turning every so often. When ready to cook I fired up my grill with a chimney of hot coals in my SNS. Kept the vents wide open, shooting for an indirect cook at about 500-600* or so.

Removed the quail form the marinade bag and seasoned them. Was out of Tony C's (my go to) instead substituted Heaven Made's Amazin Cajun (good stuff!) and allowed them to hang up while the kettle got up to temp...

Name:	quail 06.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	755461

I reserved all of the marinade. I poured it into a pot and set it on low heat and brought it to a gentle boil. I reduced it down by about 1/3, added 1/2 teaspoon of a slurry of corn starch to thicken it.

Placed the quail on the grill breast side up and placed a couple of chunks of apple wood on the coals. Went about 15 minutes, gave them a flip and grilled them breast die down for an additional 15 minutes. Also made some grilled asparagus along side to complete the dish.

Removed the quail and applied the marinade sauce with a brush for a gorgeous glazed finish. Thought about returning them to the grill to set the glaze but didn't want to dry out the birds, prefer them tender and moist. Result got a thumbs up out of my Asian wife, had enough heat and enough sweet to satisfy.

Easy and most satisfying way to make game birds or even chicken. Give it a try, Asian inspired umami flavors add so much depth and delight to your taste buds. Hope you give this a try....Troutman is out !!!

Name:	quail 01.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	755464Click image for larger version

Name:	quail 03.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	755463Click image for larger version

Name:	quail 04.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	755465

Quail should be its own food group. Awesome little birds to eat. I regret not eating more growing up. Dove was a nice filler.

Comment

Great looking recipe. Fills a hole in my repertoire. Thank you! Now I gotta get some quail. Did these come from Bandera County?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure of the origin, my butcher carries them. More than likely farm raised here in South Texas.

Thank you they look outstanding!!!

Comment

Another excellent write up/pics and recipe. Thanks for sharing....

Comment

Yup, great post. I’m a big fan of sesame seeds/oil, this sounds delish! Don’t have too many quails around here, gonna substitute with either duck or chickin’

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            According to a listing of Swedish game birds I see quail, partridge and grouse. Any of those would essentially be the same.

Very tasty lookin'. I never hunted quail, but I had an uncle who did. It was a rare treat to be there when my aunt cooked'em.

Comment

Brilliant presentation! What is the flavor profile of quail?

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              A richer and somewhat earthier version of chicken

Those look awesome, puts the steak I'm about to grill to shame.

Comment

How has nobody hired you in the restaurant industry.. your recipes always sound amazing but your presentation is 4 steps above the recipe.. well done as normal sir.. looks great.. I just wish I could taste it😁😁

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the compliment but I'll keep my amateur status, it's a fun hobby.

Beautiful.

Comment

I should have 16 of these bad boyz delivered the 14th.

Comment

Look great. Ember in Breckenridge CO has a honey marinated quail that is the best I ever had. Seeing this reminded me of that, and now I want to cook more of it. Fried quail is great too. Where did you source your birds?

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I cannot lie, in the frozen food section. Sometimes the Chinese stores have them fresh. I’ve also seen them at the meat counter of Central Market.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here