Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brine wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine wings?

I plan to do a series of chicken wing cooks. Will initially use a low-and-slow indirect technique, followed by hot direct heat to crisp/finish. Is dry brining wings recommended?

Yes. If you have the time and space, I would also recommend placing the wings on a rack above a drip pan, uncovered in the fridge for several hours. This helps to further dry out the skin.
    If you have a Weber kettle and a Vortex, man that gives the ultimate wings! IMHO, of course. Another method is to toss wings in a mixture of kosher salt and aluminum free baking powder.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - do you suggested the baking powder if I also plan to apply dry rub before cooking?

If you are using a dry rub and baking powder, there are two options for that. Low-sodium baking powder, (which I have not tried) or just be careful of the salt content of your rub.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - I'll look for the low-sodium b-powder and put no salt in the dry rub.

I like to dry brine them over night, on a elevated rack. I leave them uncovered so that I can get a really nice, crispy skin on them. I toss them in wing dust or sauce after the cooking process to prevent burning. If you are severing with sauce, serve immediately as the sauce will start to soften up the crispy skin.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - so you apply something like MH's cajan dry rub after cooking, rather than immediately before?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, because rubs can burn under high heat. I find that it is better to add it right after frying or grilling. Salt the night before though. No worries with salt burning. mstruth

I usually dry brine them overnight with salt. I have tried the aluminum free baking powder and I thought it added a slight offputting flavor and texture to the wings. That is just me though. Here is a thread about getting crispy wings using a vortex on a kettle.

I cooked my third try with vortex wings and they're moist and tasty but still not crispy. 20190316_192706[1].jpg Above are the wings with the stuffed jalapeno that made up last night's

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks klflowers - so people are using a Vortex to basically cook wings at 500+ with indirect heat?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      mstruth, yep. I have also used it to cook chicken thighs that came out perfect, and I am considering using it with thinner pork chops.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Advantage of 500F indirect is the fat in the wings fries itself and since it’s indirect you aren’t getting tons of flare ups or disturbing the skin by having it touch hot grates over direct heat.

Other option is to smoke at 225 to 150-160F IT, then broil or deep fry to finish.

I dry brine when I remember ahead of time. When I dry brine I usually end up with crispier skin as the salt and air exposure helps dry the skin a bit.

Comment

My wife uses the baking soda/ salt thing and into the oven.
      Haven't tried an over night brine yet or smoking the wings....she don't trust me smoking her wings yet....

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I’ll be experimenting with small batches of wings and will definitely give the hot-and-fast method a try – I’m able to make 550° indirect. After all, what’s the worst that could happen…
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes!

I have grill grates on my gasser and set at medium heat, they do a nice job of browning/crisping the skin. The even radiant heat and frequently turning the wings quickly gets the meat done and skin crisp. I dry brine overnight in the fridge and that is it.
      In the picture I have just turned them for the first time after about 3 minutes
      Attached Files

Comment

So I've got batch of wings well salted and drying in the fridge tonight. I was thinking of doing them on my Yoder tomorrow, I know it'll get to 500F easy. Is this my best bet, just throw them on the smoker plain and dry brined and then toss in some dry rub or sauce after?

Never done wings outside a deep fryer.

<edit> After cutting up, I squeeze dried them all well with paper towels before salting, hoping that would help get some of the moisture out of the skin.
        Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; May 24, 2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Spinaker what he said.

The place I differ is I’ll add a sugarless/burnless rub. But he basically nailed it.

it really depends on the rub and cook. I’d skip the baking powder and go hot n fast as mentioned above.
          DogFaced PonySoldier just depends on the rub. Some will burn.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; May 24, 2020, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Spinaker what he said.

The place I differ is I’ll add a sugarless/burnless rub. But he basically nailed it.

it really depends on the rub and cook. I’d skip the baking powder and go hot n fast as mentioned above.
            DogFaced PonySoldier just depends on the rub. Some will burn.
            I just see most people seem to be using a Vortex for these, but I know my Yoder will get up to nearly 600°F (I fried a couple of probes testing this!) so I thought that would be a viable option. I actually would rather dust/sauce after, as I can do that per the personal preference of a couple of guests - and my wife.

How long do you go on wings if you're going that hot? I've read the 30-20-10 method, but that is for lower, I think in the 325-350 range, I certainly don't want to do that. Oh, and my wings have been separated into drumettes and wingettes, with the wing tips cut off. So I'd imagine they might be a little quicker that way, but maybe not.

Anyone tried a light brushing with oil or ghee or something on the skin after dry brining? I want crispy skin... not sure if anyone has mentioned that is the goal - crispy skin on chicken? I don't know, maybe I'm unique in that way. lol

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              For crispy skin leave it alone and pat dry if wet. Start checking about 30 minutes at that high temp.

I move away from methods of time.

I always separate my wing sections. Go hot with airflow. Dry chamber preferred.

I don’t always cook for skin and LOVE a brush of my garlic oil when starting or marinade.

I almost always use gran garlic/onion rather than powder. Goes great with the garlic oil. Yum!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here