Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterball a Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    replied
    Jon Solberg next time mix a little rub in the butter.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Todays test:

1-8lbs turkey spatchcocked

1 half injected with 2oz EVOO
    1 half injected with +- 2oz melted butter.

Cooked on a kettle, Kingsford fuse, no water, 325°-345° till done.

The EVOO side was much more moisture that the butter. Had a almost wet feel. No oil taste. Not great mouth feel.

Butter side was moist and just a hint of butter taste that would perhaps be undetected if you didn't know it was used. Much better mouth feel but still no eureka moment.

I need to do some additional testing. I dont think my controls were all that solid. This was a good trial to check out the injector and how to actually do the injecting. My first thought is its a pain that didn't give much ROI but I'll chalk that up to my lack of knowledge.

I have 3 more small birds in the freezer to play with so I'll try again next month. Mean time I can study up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    lol lol lol I have a vision of butter on a stick like a popsicle

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Nice, and I am one of the weirdo's who would happily eat a stick of butter, 2 if you melt them first.

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    I use olive oil in a lot of recipes instead of butter. Try a spoonful of each and tell me which on taste better by itself.

Edit:

Going to do half each this weekend. This just in from Amazon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (8).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	76082
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 2, 2015, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Oil on the skin is in contact with high heat so it can make it crispy, inside the breast just gets warmed, so I imagine it would be like eating warm oil which doesn't sound very good. Never have tried though.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Anyone ever inject olive oil?

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Plain (microwave-melted) butter for me too. Nothing fancy. Works wonders. Just make sure you use REAL butter.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Hardy-hard-hard

• _John_
    replied
    I inject with a stick I melted in the microwave. All of my rub mixed with oil goes under the skin, then a thin layer of butter on the outside. Between the oil inside and butter outside it crisps up quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    On a completely different note Jon you've given me an eye-opening idea. A large pad of butter on my turkey burgers, right before the provolone goes on. Why didn't I think of that sooner....

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    I use regular butter. Non clarified.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Im sure that could get under your skin.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I have had great luck with Store bought butter seasonings. I think Tony Chacher's makes one. I don't think the clarified stuff would hurt.

Love injecting turkey, when I don't have a hyper-allergenic person to feed it to.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    started a topic Butterball a Turkey?

Butterball a Turkey?

I need to start amping up my turkey game. When you inject with butter do you clarify it? Can you inject with margarine?

I did read the snippet on it over at the main site. Is it just that simple?

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...njections.html

Any knowledge greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 29, 2015, 12:18 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker, placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side. Click here to read ourcomplete review.

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood including dual-tube burners that are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. Click here to read our complete review.

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust-free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360 and get a special AmazingRibs.com price!

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connectivity. Couple that with high standards of design and workmanship and it’s a “must own.” Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review.