Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dove on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove on the PBC

If you've ever seen the show "MeatEater" with Steven Rinella on Netflix, maybe you've seen Season 6, Episode 1 "Southern Traditions: Virginia Doves". Well, if you've seen it, you know that Rinella ventures to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, and goes on a dove hunt at a private farm on opening day of dove season. This year, I got to do the very same thing, on the very same farm. The man who owns the farm is also a part owner of the company I work for, and I got invited to participate for the first time this year. I had never done any bird hunting before, but it was absolutely the most fun I've ever had hunting!

I limited out shooting 15 throughout the afternoon. I then got to gather round the cleaning station and watch/learn how to clean and dress the doves. Then I took them home and put them in the freezer.... until today.

There are actually a few other ways that I plan to make dove in the future, but for my first time ever, I just thought I'd keep it simple. Most everyone at the hunt just saved out the breast, so that's what I did to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 3 43 39 PM.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	744033

Removing the meat from the bones was pretty simple once you find the lines to work the knife around. And in a short manner of time I had a bunch of breast fillets ready to go. I just wrapped most of them in a half-piece of bacon, but a few I left without bacon and sprinkled lightly with AP rub.

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 4 13 35 PM.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	744036

I also kept it simple with the cook. I've done a lot of chicken wings on my PBC, so I ran temp and cook time similar to what I would do for wings. I didn't check temps, but let it get up pretty high by leaving the lid cracked 1" for a half hour (assumed it was in the mid 300s at that point), and left the lid cracked for the entire cook, which took about 45 minutes. Just used two small pieces of mulberry for smokiness. I pulled the non-bacon wrapped pieces at 30 minutes to keep them from drying out.

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 4 54 40 PM.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	744034

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 5 01 47 PM.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	744035

Not the greatest photo, or the fanciest serving dish, but the flavor was enough to win the family over. We definitely preferred the bacon-wrapped to the non, but they claimed to like this even more than chicken wings. The flavor is similar (smoked poultry), but the breasts were very clean (no gristle, etc.) with good texture, and it is all dark meat too. They all agreed that I'm going to need to do some more dove hunting, which suits me just fine.

Bird hunting is a BLAST,,, no pun intended,,,had to say it !
    Nice job with the dove breasts
    Do some pheasant and chukkars at a preserve in RI
    It is always a fun day

Comment

I have had lots of game but never dove. Looks excellent. And I like the serving plate, looks a lot like some of mine.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I have never had dove before. Having said that, your preparations look deeeeeelicious.

Have you had pheasant before? I wonder if dove might be anything similar to that.

Comment

• j_keegan
            j_keegan commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven’t. Not too many pheasant around here. But I hope to try some someday. If pheasant is mostly dark meat like dove then it probably is similar.

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pheasant is the common game bird around these parts. It is mostly dark meat, kind of gamey in a good way. Sounds like pretty similar to dove in most respects.

From the title of your post I thought this was going to be a wildlife photo of a dove perched on the handle of your PBC. I have not eaten dove for a long time but that looks tasty.

Comment

• j_keegan
            j_keegan commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha, I noticed most of the other dove-related posts on here were like that, but mine is indeed food related. Probably won’t be the last one either...

Dove hunting was big in downstate Illinois back in my younger years, along with quail and duck of course. We never carved out the breast meat like you did, just grilled them whole. Must admit, save for the breast, there's not much of anything else left.

I love your bacon wrapped approach, they look delicious. Great hunt and cook, don't get much better than that !!!

Comment

Great job! Last year was about like this year, and so hot, so long, that dove season in Alabama was pretty much over before any dove migrated south this far. In 2017 I got to go hunting once that we actually saw any, and we collected about 80. I left my dozen with the land owner's son, as my wife really would not be up for me putting them in the freezer. About the only way I've had them is as little bacon wrapped poppers.

I need to get out and at least shoot skeet - my shotgun is getting sad being in the case for the past 2 years...
            Last edited by jfmorris; September 17, 2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• j_keegan
              j_keegan commented
              Editing a comment
              I definitely noticed them being affected by the heat and sun. Even throughout the day when it would cloud up for a bit they were definitely flying more.

Shooting skeet is a good way to pass time until you get to dove hunt again. I need to do that more too.

• crazytown3
              crazytown3 commented
              Editing a comment
              I nice cool, crisp morning shooting skeet with friends is a great way to pass the time. It's that time of year.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here