Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temping strategies for chicken breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temping strategies for chicken breasts

I thought this article on temping strategies for chicken breasts might to of value to someone.

Ever wonder at what temperature to cook chicken? We have the key grilled chicken temps you need for tender, juicy chicken breasts!

Thanks for including this. Generally I don't like chicken breasts, they are easy to over cook and have little or no flavor unless you jazz them up. I will admit the tandoori recipe might provide a nice kick to the finished product. May have to try that on some chicken dark meat cuts.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! The info I found of particular interest was the difference of the instant-kill temp of 165° vs. a significantly lower temp held for slightly less than a minute.

Anymore SV is the way to go for BS chicken. Same with thin pork chops. You can jazz them up in the bag and then it's just a quick sear to crust them up. That tandoor recipe looks pretty good, I have a similar one for Spartacus (kamados). Hmmm, may have to conjure it up this week...

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on CaptainMike way for chicken and thinner pork chops!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup ... +2

I thing that was not mentioned was the need to remove the tenderloin in order to pound the breast to an equal thickness. If it is left on it will move around and make it hard to get an even thickness.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that info!

• Ronaldf123
      Ronaldf123 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you please explain the tenderloin? Thanks

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ronaldf123 the tenderloin is the thin piece that lays under the breast. Very tender and if removed sold separately at a premium price. Maybe called chicken tender.

I start applying the brakes between 150-155F for any white meat or in the breast of whole birds. Or be really lazy and SV at even lower temps to pasteurization, the finish to whatever fineness I need.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep - you are in-line with what the article suggests, but they then tent to better assure time above 155 for pasteurization. (I am plenty lazy, but currently have no SV.)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here