Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I cook wings with a Vortex, will the high heat burn sugars in a rub/sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I cook wings with a Vortex, will the high heat burn sugars in a rub/sauce?

I'm planning to cook some wings tomorrow with a Vortex and I'm trying to decide how to flavor them: dry rub, sauce while cooking, toss with sauce when cooked, or a combination. When rubbing/saucing, do I need to avoid sugar? Will the high heat from the Vortex burn sugars in a rub or sauce?

I'm leaning towards dry-brining overnight with a salt/baking powder mix to help ensure crispy skin, cooking them naked to avoid anything from burning, then tossing with sauce when done. I could easily be convinced to change that plan if others have had success with a different method. I'd really like to try the Newman's Caesar and Frank's combo that Huskee had posted about last month, but I have to keep them dairy-free so that'll have to wait for another day.

Your plan sounds good. You might try a low sugar rub, then by waiting until the wings are nearly done to sauce them the sauce won’t have time to burn. If you flip them a couple times after saucing you should be ok. Makes great wings with or without sweet rub or sauce. Enjoy!

Comment

That is how the chicken joint I go to does theirs.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Are looking for HOT 🥵 wings? If so you can make a rub from paprika, cayenne, chili powder and garlic powder. Or cook them plain and sauce them afterwards.
        Try saucing half and leave the others plain to dip into the sauce. I have found leaving them plain keeps them crispier. Tossing them in sauce and leaving them in a bowl seems to take away the crispiness.

Comment

I dry brine over night, cook then toss in sauce or dry rub. Then you don't have to worry about it!

Comment

Seems like the way to go is dry brine, cook nekked, and leave a few sauce options out for people to sauce themselves. I'm trying to please a group where some don't do heat, some can't eat dairy, and there are a few kids among the adults. I'll cook the wings and they can dress 'em up as they please. That way I can also try out a batch of the raspberry barbecue sauce that Meathead recently posted.

Thanks for all of the input!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              There you go. That should be perfect.
              Take some pics and give us some eye candy. 😋😋

Yep pretty much what they all said. Either apply your sauce at the end or toss in sauce after cooking like buffalo wings. I personally don't like sweet sugary rubs on chicken so I avoid it by default. I suggest you do so as well.

Vortex chicken is the bomb !!!!

Comment

I don't dry brine. I will leave them in the fridge uncovered for a couple hours to expedite drying the skin which helps ensure crispy skin. Apply a little salt and pepper. Get the Vortex screamin' hot. Then toss lightly in warm sauce. Amazing every time.

Comment

Yep, dry brine overnight and sauce after cooking is what I do. I have a large aluminum mixing bowl that works great for tossing with the sauce.

Comment

I used a hickory lemon pepper rub then cooked on the kettle with the vortex. Sauced after they finished cooking.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	8B3B47DA-02FB-4CBD-8725-D2778BF6CA26.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	740302Click image for larger version

Name:	8A449582-9644-49D6-BE7B-4A431704F5D1.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	740303

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Them look tasty as all git out!

What kinda wood were ya usin, jus outta curiosity?

Kinda looks like th smaller limb pieces of mesquite given me by a co-worker, but more pale wood, so I'm guessin apple, mebbe?

• Dadof3Illinois
                    Dadof3Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That was some pecan, we’ve got a lot of old growth pecan and cherry so I get all the storm damaged limbs I want!!

I try to dry brine when I a)remember to do it the night before and b)have room in the fridge.

I don't have a vortex but use two charcoal baskets in the middle of the grill so a similar effect. The rub I like to use is a pretty sweet rub (Honey Hog by Meat Church) and I haven't had too much issue with it burning. If I use sauce I put it on at the very end or even after cooking.

Your plan sounds great though. Nothing wrong with cooking nekkid and letting people sauce their own.

Comment

Dry brine plus rub. Cook indirect vortex (should be 500F indirect), until they are about done, then if saucing, sauce and return them for a few minutes. I’ve never had any of them burn as long as they aren’t too close to the vortex in the center of the kettle.

Comment

Went with a salt & baking powder overnight dry brine, Vortex with a chunk of pecan wood, tossed with Meathead's Raspberry BBQ Sauce (used chopped chipotle and adobo instead of the hot sauce). Wings came out great, people loved the sauce. Definitely making again.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_173403.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	741234

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here