Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and fast chicken question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and fast chicken question

I've been cooking chicken on my WSM for a few months now with pretty decent results. I just dump a lot of hot coals in, open all the vents, and let 'er rip. Usually the cooker get to 400-415 degrees with the empty water pan in, 440ish with the pan out. I'm trying smoked chicken with alabama white sauce tonight, and the recipe says cook at 350 (as do most other chicken recipes). Would I be getting better results if I cooked at that temp? Thanks.

Nope! Let her rip! I actually find that the crispier the skin the better that sauce is!

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker. Do you think that higher temps work for most chicken recipes where I want crispy skin (citrus chicken, herb, etc)?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! Just watch the sugar. If it has a ton of sugar watch your heat, keep it at or under 400 F. Smoking77

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. Spinaker is on the money...

You do need to watch the temps if you use lots of sugar in a rub or sauce. Then you don't want to go over 350*.

Comment

Also, all the chickens I've cooked at high temps still need to get direct heat skin side down to get crispy. But when I watch videos online, the skin always looks crispy even without grilling at the end. Any way to remedy this? I don't mind direct cooking at the end, but it means I need to disassemble my WSM to do it.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you prep your chicken pre-cook? If you brine or the chicken skin is moist pre-cook it might cause your skin to not crisp up. I dry brine and air dry in the fridge uncovered and can get the skin pretty crispy at high temps even without direct heat.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        shify Been dry brining in the fridge uncovered for 48 hours. I’ll see when I get home from work if it’s completely dried out yet.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do salt on the skin and under it. Also poke holes in the skin with a toothpick.

Let her rip and dunk the chicken it the white sauce as soon as you take it off. Normally it is brushed on 15 minutes before taking it off but at such a high heat it will suck the white sauce right in.

Comment

Let her rip and remove the bowl. My 14.5 WSM produces excellent skin-on bird due to exposure to radiant heat. Consider putting down a single layer of unlit coals underneath the lit coals.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Was absolutely delicious. Can't believe I haven't made this type of chicken before. Added unlit coals to the lit coals, opened up all the vents, took the water pan out, and put the chicken on. No need this time to finish it off on direct heat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9354.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	740164 Easy cook, amazing results.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            That's comp grade chicken right there...

That looks like mighty fine!!!

Comment

Nice! What time did you say dinner is?

Comment

I would only point out that if you get rid of that green stuff, you would have room for another leg quarter on that plate.

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                I knew I screwed something up

Now that is a nice looking piece of chicken!! Great job!!

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

Beautiful!!

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Looking forward to doing this one again.

Nice looking leg quarter. I agree get rid of that green stuff for more chicken.

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Next time, for sure

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here