Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Chicken with Alabama White Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Chicken with Alabama White Sauce

Man, I love my PBC. Why I had never tried this recipe before, I can’t say, but this might now be my favorite way to cook chicken.

One 5 pound bird was cut in half and the halves were dry brined with Morton’s Kosher salt for about 6 hours. Before hanging in the PBC I sprayed them with PAM and season with course black pepper.

B&B Lump Charcoal was used, along with 3 chunks of hickory. (NOTE: First time using this lump charcoal and I really like it. Pieces were consistent in size and there were very few small pieces and powder in the bottom of the bag.)

I used the white sauce recipe here on AmazingRibs (very good by the way).

Once the chicken thigh were at 150-160, I dipped the chicken in white sauce and then put back in the PBC until thigh temps were 175. Chicken was dunked in white sauce again before serving.

Amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBF33DCF-900E-464F-A44D-B43E9F50CD92.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	739260

Gotta try this. Been on my list for a while. Looks great!

Comment

Yepper. We had a white sauce discussion here a few weeks ago. There is nothing better than Meathead recipe. Unless you can get the original from Bob Lilly.

Packed full of flavor, this recipe for Alabama white BBQ sauce is the perfect addition to grilled and smoked chicken. Adapted from the original white BBQ sauce that was created by famed Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Que in Decatur, Alabama, this isn't your ordinary sticky sweet BBQ sauce as it relies on mayonnaise and vinegar.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 3, 2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

It is the bomb BIG TIME!! Man that stuff looks much better than my ham sammich.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol

How do ya say Winner,Winner,, Chicken dinner !!!!!!!
        I love chicken on the PBC
        gotta give this a run

Comment

I've had Chris Lilly's white sauce at his restaurant in Decatur, AL a few times. It was really good. Never tried to make my own, but will give it a try one day.

Comment

I like the white sauce but never dipped the chicken in it - that takes a LOT of sauce! I've brushed it on, but mostly just serve it at the table.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I just made the recipe from Meathead, which makes about 2 cups. I put the chicken in a foil pan and just poured the sauce over it. So, I suppose "dunking" was more like pouring. Haha.

We've enjoyed it too! PBC, pb...….! Chicken Cookin Machine!

Comment

Really good looking chicken !!!!

Comment

Man, that white sauce is really good. And your chicken looks excellent!

Comment

Going to a pool party this weekend and have been asked to smoke something. Making a couple of briskets and some smoked butter bath chicken thighs. Usually I use Woody's cook-in sauce but I think I will try it with the white sauce for a change. Thanks.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea. Use @Meathead's sauce that I posted the link to up above. I baste at 1/2 hour and 1/4 hour before being done. Then dunk when done. I take it off at about 165. Then I put bowls of sauce on tables so guets can add more sauce should they want.

Good luck and have a great party.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here