Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey - Rotisserie or Hang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey - Rotisserie or Hang?

Rotisserie in Weber Kettle or Hang in WSM? Anyone try both of these methods? Which do you think came out better?

A 3rd alternative would be to piece it out, that way you can cook the different parts to the correct temperatures.

Comment

I just do it right on the grill on my kettle. Doing a 16lb one I start with the legs toward the heat for 2 hours then turn with breast to the fire for an hour. Cooking at 300-350 you should be close to being done. Check meat for doneness with an instant read at all for places and turn to fire accordingly.

You can see my last bird smoked in cherry in my avatar to the left.

Comment

I prefer rotisserie to hanging, but spatchcock over them both!

Comment

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus 1 on spatchcock...

Same crime, different theories. It all works. I’d hang, dark down.

Comment

I would also hang that sucker!

Comment

Is there a mod to hang for an 18 WSM? I’ve only seen for the 22. Thanks.

Comment

Dio you hang legs down or breast down. How do you know when to pull it? I am just plain curious as I have to adjust my bird on the grill to make sure it is cooked evenly.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I vertical roast my turkey on my pellet cooker. Dark down. The central mission is to keep light <165 while getting dark above that number. Really, light meat at 145 or so. If the fire is at the bottom, the bottom will be hotter, so better to have the dark closer to the fire and heat shielding the top.

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Potkettleblack. I usually take my bird off when the white is 155 and dark is 165. Carry over takes it up another 7-10 degrees.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here