Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Goose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Goose

We were cooking steaks last night at our local Legion Club for a fundraiser and a friend gave me a frozen Snow Goose breast and leg. He told me to figure our how to cook or smoke it? Does anyone have an idea? I can use gas, pellets, or charcoal. Thank you in advance! Skip

If the goose breast has the fat cap still on, leave it on, but cut a grid like pattern in the fat with a sharp knife.
    Dry brining is good, do it the day before.

I would cook the goose breast just like a steak. That means low heat, then reverse sear on high heat. I prefer charcoal, but they all work fine. Bring it up to 156-158 deg F internal temp, but not higher. The goose is pretty lean, so you don't want to overcook it.

I would cook the goose leg just like ordinary chicken legs, but would love to hear from other experienced pit masters here.

Comment

I was wondering about wrapping in bacon and then 250 degrees until done? Thanks. Skip

Comment

Haven't done snow like this, but for canadians I do this:
        1/2 c. Worchestershire sauce
        1/2 c. Soy sauce
        1 tbsp. lemon juice
        1 tbsp. pepper
        1 tsp. seasoning salt

....add these together and transfer to a zip-lock bag and put the cubed meat in the bag...let marinate for at least 24 hrs. (If they marinate for another 24 hrs., the goose is extra spicy!!)

When ready to cook, wrap one piece of meat (about a 2 inch piece) with a piece of bacon and a jalapeno pepper slice (only if you like them hot). Place on skewers with onions and green peppers and grill until done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
          If the goose breast has the fat cap still on, leave it on, but cut a grid like pattern in the fat with a sharp knife.
          Dry brining is good, do it the day before.

I would cook the goose breast just like a steak. That means low heat, then reverse sear on high heat. I prefer charcoal, but they all work fine. Bring it up to 156-158 deg F internal temp, but not higher. The goose is pretty lean, so you don't want to overcook it.

I would cook the goose leg just like ordinary chicken legs, but would love to hear from other experienced pit masters here.
          DING DING DING! Correct!
          The reason not to overdo the breast(especially with these wild ones) has more to do with the makeup of the muscle proteins, but the point is still the same.
          The legs are similar to chicken, BUT they are much tougher and need to be slow cooked, more like pork BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here