Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huli Huli Teriyaki Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huli Huli Teriyaki Chicken

Going to grill this recipe and it calls for indirect....has anyone ever spatchcocked this on direct heat with a Weber kettle? Curious on other's experiences as this is about the only way we cook chicken anymore, can't beat it for flavor or moistness

Originally posted by Weber Griller View Post
    Going to grill this recipe and it calls for indirect....has anyone ever spatchcocked this on direct heat with a Weber kettle? Curious on other's experiences as this is about the only way we cook chicken anymore, can't beat it for flavor or moistness
    I do it on my Weber gas grill all the time. But I think I will use the indirect method the next time to see if it comes out better. In direct heat, you have to be careful with flare ups. I also press a cast iron skillet over it (wrapped in foil for easy clean up). I got that technique from Alton Brown.

Comment

ScottyC13 and Weber Griller ,

If you have a set of Grill Grates for your Weber, either gas or kettle, you won't have to worry about flareups. Plus they get nice and hot so direct cooking is pretty snappy.

Just a thought.

Kathryn

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        This! My WSJ loves GrillGrates.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      ScottyC13 and Weber Griller ,

If you have a set of Grill Grates for your Weber, either gas or kettle, you won't have to worry about flareups. Plus they get nice and hot so direct cooking is pretty snappy.

Just a thought.

Kathryn
      Thanks. I just got a set and seasoned them yesterday!

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        You're going to love 'em! Let us know how your first chicken cook goes on them.

Kathryn

I would cut it in half’s or quarters, have a "cool" zone, and flip it often 2 minutes a side. Go 4 mins, rest in cool zonewhile other half is cookin, repeat. It’s work, but worth it. Oh, first post, welcome, eat food, work hard, enjoy.
      Last edited by FireMan; August 17, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I cooked it on the Weber kettle direct 375 for an hour and 20 minutes back side down...it turned out great as always very moist. I use a metal kabob skewer through the wings and breast and another through the drumsticks and thighs to keep it flat. I was disappointed with the teriyaki flavor very weak for a 24 hour marinate. My aunt was a native Samoan, I wish I had her recipe. I know she used pineapple, ginger and beer....with wiggle the marinade and try again
        Last edited by Weber Griller; August 18, 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going to guess she was basting it the last 10 to 20 minutes with the marinade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HuliHuliChicken.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	731904

Comment

Beautiful Job, nonetheless...

Sorry th taste profile didn't come through, as expected.

Comment

What is your recipe?

Comment

Using the recipe and procedure from the free site, I made this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	471906DC-EC73-464B-AB29-A9E973194261.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	731963

It was insanely delicious but grill (it was my gasser with mesquite in the smoke pouches) cleanup was such a total PITA I had to rethink the whole process. Now I rotisserie a whole bird, basting every few minutes, while catching all the gunk in a foil pan set on the Weber flavorizer bars. The results are just as good and cleanup is no longer a nightmare.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here