Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Spiedini (Dairy Free)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Spiedini (Dairy Free)

This was easy to make and sooooo good. Inspired by a post by treesmacker not too long ago, I’ve been wanting to make this for a while. Had to make some adjustments to keep it dairy free (my daughter has some dairy issues, so my wife is dairy free until she is done nursing), but that wasn’t too hard and definitely didn’t seem to take away from the final product.

Pounded four chicken breasts on Thursday and marinated them overnight until ready to cook on Friday evening. For the marinade, made a quick Italian dressing using Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle (course salt, garlic, black pepper, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, marjoram) in some olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a little Dijon mustard. Go to sleep in your delicious dressing bed, little chickies. I’ll see you tomorrow.

Friday evening, went to mix bread crumbs with a few other ingredients only to realize that all of the bread crumbs I had on hand contain dairy. Had to improvise and decided the best alternative was to grind some oats to use instead. Mixed the ground oats with Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary), dairy free parmesan (which isn’t good on it’s own but isn’t bad when used as an ingredient), and some minced garlic. Dredged the chicken on both sides in the oat mixture, rolled, sliced into pinwheels, and skewered. Cooked on the gasser until an internal temp of 165.

Wife’s reaction…
    "This is the best chicken I’ve had in a while."
    Another bite.
    "This is the best chicken you’ve made."
    One more bite.
    "This may be the best chicken I’ve ever had!"

That seemed a bit extreme, but it was really delicious and I could tell she genuinely meant it, so hooray for me! The little bit of Dijon mustard I intended to just be an emulsifier in the marinade actually ending up adding a hint of flavor that worked incredibly well in this chicken. Definitely making this one again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190809_165502.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	729816Click image for larger version  Name:	20190809_174025.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	729817
    Last edited by jumbo7676; August 14, 2019, 05:57 AM.

Whenever you hear best I ever had, you know you done good. Congrats!!!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Thank you. I have a young relative who can’t have dairy and I’m always looking for new ideas.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Way to improvise! My wife is lactose intolerant as well, but she will eat a little dairy - so she enjoyed my Spiedini. I'll have to try your version for her.

Comment

very interesting. and tasty looking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here