Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Turkey and Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Turkey and Chicken

I'm looking to smoke turkey breast for slicing for sandwich's, and cooking a whole chicken for dinner. I'm planning on the spatchcock method for the whole bird. I've settled on a simple brine (water/sugar/salt) and am now looking at cooking. My question is, can I cook both at the same time and have them come out cooked properly. From the various recipes I've looked at here there seems to be a general consensus of 325 - 350 degrees for the smoker, and an hour or so for the fowl. I'm using a Char Griller Pro offset, no water or mods. Just charcoal to start, a piece of oak and wood chunks for temp control. This is a whole new thought process since I got my Thermapen and Smoke units, as I didn't realize before just how far off the built in temp gauge was, and how quickly it loses heat. So, I'm starting all over on the learning process.

Sorry for the lack of brevity, I'm hoping there's something I'm doing right but willing to take all the advice given.
    Last edited by DesertRaider; August 7, 2019, 10:50 PM.

I don’t have an offset but I guess principles are the same no matter the cooker.... definitely shoot for temp of 300 or above. I prefer a dry salt brine rather than liquid brine personally. Just season all sides with kosher salt (~1/2 - 1 tsp per pound) the night before you cook them and put in refrigerator. Then season them with whatever rub you are using right before you put them on the smoker. I actually like seasoning mine with McCormick’s Montreal Steak seasoning the night before - the salt will effectively dry brine the bird, and it’s already seasoned. That seasoning is versatile stuff. Use less wood than you think as poultry takes up smoke rather easily. I love smoked chicken.

Comment

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      Because I've got my youngest helping, it's going to be a wet brine this time, but, thanks for answering my next question, as I wasn't sure if the skin would prevent a good dry brine from taking hold. I'm going to try dry brine next. Because of the salt in either brine method, I'm going to make a special rub without salt.

There is also a Montreal Chicken seasoning that is pretty good. On the turkey breast, if you have a sous vide, try putting it in the bath at 145 for 2.5 hours then searing the skin. It comes out very good.

Comment

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      While the idea of a sous vide intrigues me, I'm pretty sure my wife would nix that

It really doesn't matter whether or not you cook both items at the same time, it's all about fire management (keeping a steady temp up above 300* as everyone has mentioned) and using a temperature gauge to watch the internal temps. On the breast meat do not exceed 160*, actually I pull a little earlier and let carryover get it there. And on dark meat run it up to about 175*. Obviously the turkey breasts will more than likely beat the whole chicken, so just pull either when they are done.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, very helpful. Weather has postponed the cook, so hopefully tomorrow it will clear up a bit. It's not the rain, but those lightning bolts look pretty serious. While I'm hoping for cripsy skin, I'm thinking bird and not me

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here