Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Contest ideas / recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing Contest ideas / recipes

There is a local parent-child bbq competition that I just entered into with my daughter and one of the categories is wings. I'm happy with the wings I've made in the past but I don't really do them all that often so I am curious for recipe ideas and other tips/techniques (brining, for example). It is technically a competitive event (in that there are prizes) but we're just going in for fun so I don't need anything super complicated.

They'll have electricity so I could bring my pellet smoker, but I think I'll just take my Jumbo Joe. So it'd be a charcoal cook if that helps to narrow down suggestions.

I've really been getting away from using wood when cooking - just straight charcoal. An exception is wings. I recommend hickory for wings. I like to brush them with sauce about halfway through the cook so it glazes a bit, and of course make sure you still have sauce left when the cook is complete to roll them around in.

Comment

Have you ever tried vortex wings.
      I think you just might win all the prizes using this method.

Comment

• jabostick
        jabostick commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have a vortex but was planning to use a charcoal basket and cook on indirect before finishing over the charcoal, so I think it's a similar style.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        You can get a SS dish with a diameter to suit your kettle and make sure the depth is less than the measurement between charcoal grate and cooking grate. Cut off the base of dish and you have a vortex.

Something I tried recently that I'd love to hear feedback on is mixing 50/50 Newman's Own Creamy Caesar Dressing and Franks. Here's the thing, it has to be Newman's Own Creamy Caesar, it is different, saltier and more bold than typical Caesar dressings. It itself is good on chicken (and my personal favorite on salad), but mixed 50/50 w/ Frank's leans it into classic Buffalo Wing territory, just with something special to it. I used it as a finishing sauce, like you would normal Buffalo. I might do a very light dry brine but there's enough flavor there you don't need to IMO.

EDIT: Ratio doesn't need to be 50/50, do whatever tastes or looks good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	newmans own caesar.JPG Views:	1 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	726593Click image for larger version  Name:	franks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	726594

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ it was an 'excellent' movie!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        This is on my short list, and a heck of a lot simpler than the sauce I make, melting butter and all for it and mixing in a dozen things.

• jabostick
        jabostick commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried this as a test run, by the way and it turned out great. I also added a bit of honey but they got great reviews. My daughter, however, is a maniac for pickles so for our contest we're going to try dill pickle wings.
        I'll be making these again though

Wet brine them in a pastrami brine. Dry well. Season accordingly with pepper n such. Dry well. Smoke and then toss with a spicy Russian dressing. Garnish with chopped egg and Cornishon. Finish with micro greens.

alternatively you can bread after the dry and fry in lard. Drizzle the sauce and garnish accordingly.
      Last edited by HouseHomey; August 7, 2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting ideas from a pro!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Uhhhhhh, this sounds unreal. One of those, "why didn't I think of that deals?!"

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Spinaker I’ve still been kicking this around in my head.

Thanks everyone. My first thought was to finish it with alabama white sauce. It is pretty uncommon where I am from so it might stand out a bit, though that could work against me though, I suppose. I like Huskee's idea actually. Open to more suggestions though!

Comment

Can go wrong with Huli Huli wings

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are darn good. I've done them a few times.

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          They're on the sweet side too do that might be good for kids.

I'm a fan of grilled wings with a dry rub. There's a local guy who sells rubs and he's got a sweet heat kind of rub that I'm trying to riff off of. Still working on it.

Comment

There are so many ways to do wings. I love Teriyaki, Anchor, white sauce, Memphis dry rub, Carolina wet sauce, Kansas City sweet sauce, Nashville extra hot. You name it there is a wing out there that you can win with. Separate the pieces and get rid ot the tips. Make sure they are well coated. I would go with the grilled white sauce, it is new coat them while cooking and again when taking them off. But make sure you use Meatheads White Sauce.

Comment

The smoked wings at Home Team BBQ in Charleston rock! https://destination-bbq.com/home-tea...n-wing-recipe/

Comment

The only advice I can give you is DO NOT try something for the first time for a contest / competition. Make sure you always try it once or twice before you plan on submitting it to be judged.

Epic failures can and will happen trying things for the first time.

Trust me, I know.

Comment

Thought I should update with pics (I never take as many as I plan to). They also supplied us with beef to cook, so that's the other pic. Was very happy with how the Dill Pickle wings turned out but was glad I did a trial run before hand (and checked in here for ideas)! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	733593Click image for larger version

Name:	45DE2657-3A47-4C22-A0B5-DE2D81E49DAD.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	733594

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice work!

Huskee I'm going to try your wing recipe, Do you just grill on charcoal, plain until done. Then roll them in the mix of Caesar & Franks?

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. You can salt lightly but it's not really needed with that Newman's Caesar.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here