Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer Can Chicken - Shots fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer Can Chicken - Shots fired

Steven Raichlen penned an article on Beer Can Chicken debunking the de-bunkers. I like his shows and have a couple of his books. He is pointing at "Other Websites" that have trashed Beer Can chicken.

Not a a bad article...though he is trying to sell you his vertical roaster.

Common ground is the idea that cooking the bird in an upright position helps increase moisture.

"Does the steaming beer keep the bird moist? I like to think so, although other barbecue websites correctly state that the evaporation of the beer (i.e., its transfer from the can to the chicken) is minimal. Here I must rely on experience: beer can chicken just tastes moister than most conventional roast chicken. Scientifically, I can’t explain why.

This brings me to one thing beer canning does that other cooking methods don’t. It forces you to cook the bird in an upright position. This assures uniform browning on the back and sides as well as the breast. (Remember all that Maillard effect roasting and crisp skin?) It may also foster moistness."

Delicious because it's still a roasted chicken. C'mon Steven, the beer goes best in your hand and then your mouth.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would much rather just drink the beer!

It could be Steven just wants it to taste better, so it does...

Comment

I'll still take my rotisseried chicken over a beer can chicken any day So will SWMBO, so there's that...

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree...and a VERY close second would be my vertical roaster...sans beer can or any other can of whatever shoved up its orifice.

Didn’t bother reading the article but there is a lot of different between a beer can and a wire vertical roaster. Vertical roasters allow better air flow thru the cavity while anything solid blocks it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I agree, I still use my vertical roaster from time to time. I like the drip pan because it catches the grease and fat and allows air flow as you say. Of course my rotisserie chicken does the same thing. I think he needs to sell his product as a vertical roaster and the stainless beer can as a dandy seasoning shaker !!!!

Come on guys, his beer can roaster rack looks so cool though! Don't you think? I think it does. And it is only 16 bucks and some change with my prime membership. I think I am going to have to have it. They say a fool and his money...

Comment

I don't know, I'm usually so drunk after drinking too many beers to tell if the chicken is good or not. I just devour it

Comment

I am a vertical roast evangelist. But I haven't put a beer can up the butt of one in many a year. The Spanek Style Vertical roaster gives all of the benefit of the upright position without any of the airflow issues of a can in the cavity. I have a wire frame that will hold a can, like the one sold by Steve, but the Spanek Style is much easier to use without a can. A chicken sits a bit sideways on the can holder style without a can to prop it up.

I think the magic of the "beer can" chicken is all about the vertical position of the bird being a better position for heat and airflow. I do my turkey vertical, I do chickens that way too. I think the can is likely in the way, or really only useful as a crutch to keep the chicken upright.

Back in my beer can days, it was always a pain in the butt to get the can out of the chicken's cavity. Now, I just carve on the roaster... but the Spanek style slides out much easier.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            And that hot beer tasted awful!

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            You turned me on to the Spanek style vertical and I can’t thank you enough.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a noname vertical roaster as well. Works great. My biggest issue was getting the hot can of beer out. It usually would spill out all over my deck.

I do chicken two ways--rotisserie at about 375°F or low 'n' slow using a vertical wire frame. Both ways produce extremely moist chicken and neither wastes a beer. It's hard to refute Meathead's argument that the chicken acts as a coozy, thereby negating the generation of significant steam from the beer can.

Why waste a beer? If you want to add moisture during the cook, use a water pan under the chicken. It'll generate a lot more moisture as it can reach the boiling point and it'll double as a drip pan.

Comment

Dang. You guys are no fun. Guess I'll pass.

Comment

Would it be shot glass chicken if you used Cornish game hens?

asking for a friend.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Many years ago, I got a 22 oz can of Saporo to do a turkey, because I couldn't find a Foster's oil can

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                A thimble for sparrows?

You know your beer can chicken is done when the juice runs clear.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I see nothing either scientific or artistic about poking and stabbing. But hey the "pros" do it, so it must be valid !!!

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                This might have worked for the cavemen, but with the ease of use and price of modern instant read thermometers, why? 😂

For excellent vertical chicken, buy a PBC.

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                HawkerXP whats one more barrel between friends right?

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Hehehe, wood, metal it doesn't matter. As long as we have fun. klflowers

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Kind of what I was thinking, fzxdoc! You can have your beer and drink it, too.

I've never been a fan of beer can chicken, much prefer spatch cock chicken/turkey. I do however, believe the PBC cooks whole chickens better than any cooker I've owned. Maybe it's because the bird is hung "upright".....

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                I spatchcock or rotisserie my birds. I think I may have fiddled with beer caning many, many years ago but thought it was a tremendous waste of effort.

• binarypaladin
                binarypaladin commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha. I'm writing basically this below. Although I halve the chickens before cooking that way.

Am I the only person who has a secret desire to throat punch Steven Raichlen?

Not just because of this... but just in general... for some reason I just have never really liked him... you know how a lot of people hate Guy Fieri or Nickelback for no apparent reason... That is kind of how I feel about Steven Raichlen…

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, I like Guy. Steven can cook, but he is kind of bleh.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                The BBQ Bible was really my introduction to grilling and smoking... I dunno that I'd be anywhere without Raichlen... That said, I think I've left him behind for others... but have a special place for the guys who got me into it. Raichlen, Flay and my dad.

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought I was the only one, Nate. It is indeed hard to explain.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here