Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You MUST try chicken in white BBQ sauce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a white sauce and bbq chicken cook off every summer, just adding a few twist to the Big Bob Gibson Recipe. The men cook and the ladies judge.

Comment

Have only had the white sauce on pork which I like. Chicken has always been oh hum for me. Gonna try this.

Comment

I like chicken too !!!! White sauce is a good alternative, good posting !!

Comment

I think it’s okay, Mrs Mosca doesn’t like the white sauce.

Comment

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            Mrs. Paladin (lol) loved it. I tried this because I asked her what she wanted me to make this weekend and said she wanted a BBQ chicken, but one with sauce. I usually just use the Memphis rub. I asked her if she was okay with me trying this out and we're both fans now.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I don’t know why she doesn’t like it. I like it, but not enough to make two batches of dinner, so I’ll only have it when we are going out I guess.

I've not made the white sauce on the free side because I'm not sure how how well Paleo mayo would work. I save the store bought mayo for favorites here like cole slaw.

One interesting thing I found though on this note from Meathead :"Not everyone likes it, and it doesn't work well on pork or beef."

Well, a while back I was at Smokin D's in St. Augustine FL. They called it Horseradish Pepper Sauce, so I took that along with a couple of other sauces for a brisket and pork combo to go. The white sauce was good on pork, but it was great on brisket. Maybe they had more horseradish than the AR recipe calls for. But who doesn't love horseradish with beef?

Comment

This is definitely on the to-do list. Been reading about white BBQ sauce - gots to try it soon.

Comment

How would this work with Cornish Game Hens? My thinking is each person could grab one. No muss, no fuss.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                ... should be great ...

I "grew up" (quotes added as suggested by my wife ) in northern Alabama and white sauce is just what we had with non-fried chicken. My mother's recipe is long lost but Meathead's is very very close to what I remember ... with one exception. Meathead's version seems a bit more acidic than what I had as a kid. To "fix" it, I follow his recipe exactly then add one tablespoon of sugar to take the edge off. Then it's just like mother used to make.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                I followed this advice you gave me some time back when I commented it was a bit acidic. That extra bit of sugar made it work for me.

Originally posted by N227GB View Post
              I've not made the white sauce on the free side because I'm not sure how how well Paleo mayo would work. I save the store bought mayo for favorites here like cole slaw.
              I saw in the comments on the recipe page that someone mentioned using homemade mayo. As long as your mayo is using some kind of neutral oil, it should be fine. I wonder a bit of whole egg mayo—the kind you'd make with an emersion blender would crisp up the skin better for the portion that goes on during the smoke due to the egg white protein. Worth a try I suppose.

With that said, I've been nominally paleo for years—by nominally I consume dairy and since losing a lot of weight stick with a couple meals a week where I still enjoy some break, cookies, etc. but generally stay pretty low carb. One of the areas I have been very strict is avoiding seed oils. I found that the grief I had attributed to gluten turned out to be the crap oils (soybean, canola, vegetable, etc.). As such, my neutral oil of choice is avocado oil and while I used to make my own mayo, it's shelf life didn't correspond to my consumption.

Costco sells Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayonnaise (Paleo Enoughâ„¢ for me) and it's the only mayo I use. The hint of rosemary extract is awesome. Costco also sells it for significantly cheaper. It's $7.99 for 24 oz which is less than half what was linked before and what you'd typically pay at a place like Whole Foods or your typical "natural" grocer. (Costco has been a godsend for a lot of bulk stuff since I've taken up eating this way. They have great prices on avocado oil in general.)

Long story short, this mayo works just fine in this sauce. In fact, I haven't found anything where this mayo doesn't work like any other mayo. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

Originally posted by N227GB View Post
              One interesting thing I found though on this note from Meathead :"Not everyone likes it, and it doesn't work well on pork or beef."

Well, a while back I was at Smokin D's in St. Augustine FL. They called it Horseradish Pepper Sauce, so I took that along with a couple of other sauces for a brisket and pork combo to go. The white sauce was good on pork, but it was great on brisket. Maybe they had more horseradish than the AR recipe calls for. But who doesn't love horseradish with beef?
              I haven't tried it on beef, but I think the sweet/tang factor of this sauce wouldn't mix well. Mayo and horseradish work, but thinning with the apple juice and vinegar is probably where it becomes a different animal.

Comment

• N227GB
                N227GB commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the idea of avocado oil! I've been doing the Paleo eating lifestyle for 8 years now, and I don't recall that being a thing back when I started and was doing a lot of reading on the subject. I'll have to give it a try.

• binarypaladin
                binarypaladin commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah. I started probably six years ago, but for better and worse it's become more and more trendy. The better part is that there are a lot of products available now. Costco in particular seems to really cater to the paleo, primal, and Keto crowd, as well as having a good selection of organics. Paleo or not though, that Chosen Foods mayo is my favorite!

We just mixed up a batch to put on some chicken tonight. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Kudos to you and all who like it. I gave it a try and it’s just not my cup of tea.

Comment

I made this yesterday and it is quite good. I cooked 6 leg quarters and took them to the local brew pub to let friends and staff try it - I received many compliments on it. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Comment

My family loves white sauce! You can also use it for coleslaw

Comment

• Bkhuna
                      Bkhuna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had the same thought.

Made this the first time maybe a year ago, and since then have been making it a lot. I love it, which surprises me, as it has a little similarity to ranch dressing, which I do not like. I've tried a few different versions, and one did not call for lemon, which I subsequently concluded was a required ingredient.

Comment

This thread inspired me to give it a try. Made some Simon & Garfunkel rub for the first time as well.

I was a little nervous putting it together with the Missus sitting there watching. She can be a bit picky at times, but I shouldn’t have worried lol, as I’m wrapping up she asks, "are you making spicy ranch?"

Me: "Uhh…. yeah I guess, try it"
                      Her : ​​​​​​​Tastes it "Mmmmm" Tastes it again "That's kick-a**, spicy ranch"

Needless to say, dinner was a hit. She thought the rub & sauce went perfectly together and thought I'd figured that out on my own.

I just sat there with a butter wouldn't melt in my mouth expression, thinking the $24 for membership here was money well spent

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here