Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You MUST try chicken in white BBQ sauce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You MUST try chicken in white BBQ sauce!

I've written before about smoking chicken. I like chicken.

With that said, chicken is still very much the also-ran when I'm cooking. I have a leg quarter and a wing with sides, put the leftovers in the fridge, and keep it around for lunch the rest of the week. I virtually never go for seconds unless I'm really hungry. In fact, I can't think of a single instance I was eating chicken that wasn't deep-fried where I found myself thinking, "I need more even though I'm stuffed." Maybe there were some chicken wings like that.

I just smoked some chickens in the manner linked above except I finally got around to making Big Bob Gibson's White BBQ Sauce. The technique is pretty much as linked above, except I pulled the chicken halves at around 145ºF, poured and spread the sauce all over, then let them smoke till around 155ºF when I pulled them out, let them rest, and then sauced again before serving.

Let me just say, I have to wonder what I have been doing with my life up to this point. That stuff is absolutely delicious. I ate my typical leg quarter. Then a wing. Then another wing. Then a half a breast. Then a bunch of random pieces while I was parting up the remaining chickens for the fridge. I ate too much chicken. It was worth it.

If you've never given this a try, you should. It's definitely unconventional, but totally delicious. And, oddly, it works as BBQ, at least in my mind. I could serve this with more "traditional" fare and I don't think it would be out of place at all. (Be warned, it's got more kick than expected—at least more than I expected. You might wanna cut the cayenne by half if you don't do heat.)

Also, a picture. (Not that it helps.)

Attached Files

Love me some Big Bob Gibson’s style white chicken!

Comment

Looks great. Definitely on my list of upcoming cooks.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... I need to make up another batch. I've been trying to get my work to offer it as a wing sauce, but apparently if you can't buy it from Sysco or Shamrock it's too much trouble. Fools!

Comment

Nice. Have not done that since last summer but I need to get it back on the list.

Comment

Maybe it’s just the mayo, but it’s got a Halal Guys vibe to it. I wonder if sumac would go well in it.
            Last edited by binarypaladin; July 20, 2019, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Can't eat too much chicken, just ask Howlin' Wolf.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Good listening for a Sunday morning. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Willard
                Willard commented
                Editing a comment
                Just set the phone down, tilted my head back and closed my eyes. Didn’t bother with headphones. Just that old transistor radio sound. The Blues!

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                "Blue's ain't about making yourself feel better, it's about makin' other people feel worse."
                - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Yep there is nothing better than BBG white sauce on chicken. My brother introduced it to me to it down in Alabama must be 15-20 years ago. Dang that stuff is good, but if you can get hold of Duke's mayonnaise it is even more original to the restaurant's. Duke's is a southern thing.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe you misspelled 'thang' ;-)

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Dukes is The mayo. If you don't use Dukes, you might as well eat miracle whipped.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                @Bkhuna
                The miracle about that stuff is that anyone eats it. My daughter-in-law grew up on it. Somewhere along the way I introduced her to real mayonnaise, and she couldn't believe what she'd been missing all of her life. I don't think I've seen a jar of MW in their house since, and that was over 20 years ago.

I’ve read about White sauce many times here in The Pit, but I’ve yet to make it. Might be high time I get around to it!

Comment

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!!!! I did my first a week ago and I will never go back.....Only way to eat chicken IMHO.

Comment

The recipe I use has some prepared horseradish in it, and besides chicken it works well as a sauce for pork and chicken.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mmmmm, Loves me some horseradish!!!! Been eatin it outta th jar since I was a very young boy, heapin spoonfuls...folks an sibbies all thought I was nuts!!! Well, okay, maybe they're right, but it never slowed me down, none, on eatin horseradish!

Not to make anyone jealous, but I will be eating there this weekend. Been a long time since I ate at BBG's. That white sauce is good on everything.

Comment

Gotta do this...

K.

Comment

We like that White Sauce as a pizza sauce too. Just this week I did a pizza on the BGE with White Sauce and pulled beef. Tasted great!

Comment

I thought that sauce was a joke then I made it. Man is it good. Need to make some more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here