Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fascinating video (to me) — Processing and butchering chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fascinating video (to me) — Processing and butchering chicken

Here’s the video

The cones sure beat the plank of wood with two nails for the neck and hatchet my grandpa had. That plucker machine is extremely effective.

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

Cool video. I remember butchering chickens as a kid. Just had a stump and a hatchet. Plucking was my least favorite part. Wet feathers everywhere.

We have some chicken coops at our house we moved into a year ago. At some point we were planning on getting some laying hens but I might just have to get a couple meat birds as well.

Comment

Have done turkeys with my neighbor
          No cones, bungee around the legs and hold on ,,,to the wings
          strong Mf’ers
          then to the plucker and the gut and into a Bath and in to a bag
          taker ‘er home

Comment

Yep, remember my mom hanging them from a closthline 5 at a time a time and going down the line grabbing there heads and cutting it off. Letting them bleed out then dump them in hot water and pulling all the feathers out. Then doing another 5. This was back in the 50's and I was a kid and I remember it stunk.

Comment

I have all the Featherman equipment to process birds. Here's a demonstration of how it works:

Basically the same. Difference is the auto dunker on the scalding tank.

Comment

Cool to see how it is done.

Comment

My uncle didn't have those cones or a plucker, unless you count us kids...

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So you could say you were little pluckers. 😆

Memories of times past.

Comment

As a bona fide "city boy" I found that pretty fascinating.
                    It's one of those things that some of us never really get to see...unless we seek it out. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I wanna see the beheadings ....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here