Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Drumsticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Drumsticks

I brined and smoke turkey legs for the first time. It tasted good but tendons got in the way. Found drumsticks (excellent quality) from a local farm that averaged 1 ¼ Lbs. Anyone have any tips ?? Should I remove the tendons first and if so how ?? Thanks in advance.

Nope can't help you on this one. NC grows about 41.5% of all turkeys in the US, which makes it number 2 in the country, and I have still not found a leg with out the tendons. Been to Disney World where they sell massive ones and thier's still had tendons. The tendons are there to hold the meat to the joint with the thigh. If they were not there the meat would fall off the bone.

Have a happy 4tj.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      isn't that we sometime shoot off..........."Fall off the bone"? 😜

Tried advice once to remove the tendons with a pliers. It worked, but there was quite a bit of loss. I guess your best off using your teeth post-cook.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dcebf5eade3e11ec96074a838d5b698b--chicken-ranch-boneless-chicken.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	707823

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew it! Yet another reason to hate boneless "wings."

What if you made turkey lollipops? When I do them with chicken legs I get most all of the tendons out of the way.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally different birds. Chicken has very few tendons compared to a turkey leg. More like 1 versus 1 vs. 6 or so.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here