Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Chicken

I've never made pulled chicken, but I want to try something new. I know the basics, but curious what y'all prefer to do concerning these variables:

1) What chicken parts
    2) Skin or Skinless
    3) What cooker temp
    4) What internal temp
    5) Sauced or sober

Looking forward to hearing (and hopefully seeing) from some of you pulled chicken lovers.

Thighs
    skinless
    325°
    170°
    Sauced

Comment

Same comment as tweeter except do the whole bird, why not !!!

Comment

All parts of the chicken:

no skin when pulling but cooked with skin. (That, I eat)
        dry or wet brined but brined for sure. I prefer the wet brine for this
        250 ish but not hot n fast (really any temp will work but I find lower is better)
        pull it when pullable

sauce and season:
        whatever makes your boat float.

think tomatillo and avocado and green chili and cilantro
        think of the taco seasoning packets and make your own with fresh toasted and ground cumin, paprika, onion, garlic, ancho chili powder
        or
        think sauce like Gualillo, chili de arbor, Morita etc...
        or
        even lemon grass and curry.

hope this helps. I love chicken

Last edited by HouseHomey; June 28, 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I go boneless skinless so I can use the skins for chicken craklins and the bones go in my stock pot.

My preference is spatchcocked whole chicken with skin in a pan to keep the smoker clean. I like a mix of dark and white meat. Dry brined. 325 F until safe internal temps. Sprinkle dry rub on pulled chicken and make wet sauces available for personal taste. Not my favorite, but is my wife's favorite, explaining why I know things about this. :-)

Comment

Whole bird for sure.

Comment

Whole chicken or legs and thighs as you prefer and whatever looks best in the butcher's case. But definitely not just the breasts. I'd do parts, halves, or spatchcocked, but I wouldn't cook whole, intact birds. A wet or dry brine would be good.

I wouldn't set the smoker too cool because chicken seems to get dry and mealy on me when cooked too long. I'd go for more like 300-350 F. Shoot for 160-170 F internal temp in the thighs.

I've cooked chicken with skin on and skin off and don't have a preference if making pulled chicken. Regardless of how it's cooked, I'd not include any skin in the pulled meat for sure.

I normally lightly sauce the meat to keep it moist for serving and help it stays put on the bun. Huskee's Original Shawsh would be nice -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...riginal-shawsh Serve extra sauce on the side for those who want more.

Comment

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the options are flexible, so I'll probably start with a spatchcocked whole bird so i can experiment with pulling all the parts and seeing what mixture I like best.

Comment

Leg quarters only, around here a 5lb bag is .89lb on sale. They have more flavor. Skin on get it crispy, then you can add it or not. I don't. Cook temp depends how much smoke you want. I like 250 for a decent amount of smoke. Reach that temp before putting them on. I prefer a combination of hickory and apple 2:3 for sweetness, but go with your taste. Take them off when the thickest part of the thigh reaches 160. Do not forget to brine I use 1Qt water, 3Tbs salt, 2Tbs sugar. 2-4 hours is plenty.

For a sauce you want to taste the chicken and I always reach for 1 of 2. Big Bob Gibson's Alabama white sauce or a western NC vinegar sauce with the vinegar cut by half. Only apply enough sauce to barely wet the meat. Put out more sauce to allow people to add more if they want more. Again every one has there opinion on sauces so go with there taste so go with what you like, just don't over do it at first.
                Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 29, 2019, 01:40 PM. Reason: I forgot brining step.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  white sauce is EXCELLENT!

I also used bone in, skin on chicken thighs. Then remove them skin when shredding (and cook the skin separately like bacon for a chefs snack)

Comment

Or throw the skin and bones in the stock pot with water, herbs, and veggies for awesome chicken stock.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes ma'ahm I chop the bones up with my cleaver also to get that goodness from inside them.

Family's favorite is Mississippi Pulled Chicken. Basically spatchcock, grill or smoke until done. Then pull and shred. Add 1 package Au Jus, 1 package Ranch dressing mix, half a jaw of pepperocini peppers and half of the juice. Then a stick of butter over the top cut into pats and throw it back in the cooker for a while to let it all meld together. It's a beautiful thing!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh gosh. I've only done this with chuck roast. Didn't think to use the Mississippi Roast recipe with chicken. Hmmm...something to think about. Thanks, castironchris .

I use the New York Times version of the recipe (for beef) because it uses fresh ingredients instead of the packet mixes.

Kathryn

• castironchris
                    castironchris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you share? I tried to Google but couldn't come up with anything....

When I've done it I've used the whole bird. I like the contrast of the white and dark meat. I like a spicy tomato based sauce for it.

Comment

<Reading this post while eating a salad topped with leftover chicken from last weeks smoke.>

Whole bird with skin and wet brined. Cooked at 250 until 165.

After pulling all the meat, all the bones and skin go in a pot for stock.

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep. We always save the carcass for stock.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
                    All parts of the chicken:

no skin when pulling but cooked with skin. (That, I eat)
                    dry or wet brined but brined for sure. I prefer the wet brine for this
                    250 ish but not hot n fast (really any temp will work but I find lower is better)
                    pull it when pullable

sauce and season:
                    whatever makes your boat float.

think tomatillo and avocado and green chili and cilantro
                    think of the taco seasoning packets and make your own with fresh toasted and ground cumin, paprika, onion, garlic, ancho chili powder
                    or
                    think sauce like Gualillo, chili de arbor, Morita etc...
                    or
                    even lemon grass and curry.

hope this helps. I love chicken
                    I will have to try this with my Salsa Verde. Thanks

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                      mountainsmoker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds good like the sauce ideas. I forgot the brine step in my recipe, will make the correction, thanks.

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Certainly sir! This kinda stuff is all about preference unless it menu specific.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here