Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The skin-on chicken equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The skin-on chicken equation?

Thinking about how roasting skin-on chicken is all about getting the outside to crispy and the right level of Golden Brown and Delicious at the same time the internal temperature finishes up somewhere between 150F and 175F depending on dark vs light meat.

Example is a whole bird vertically roasted seems to work well around 325, and wings work best at 475-500, and spatchcocked birds are somewhere in between, I came up with this relation, where TInch is the thickest part of the chicken (or pieces) in inches and the output is the Temperature to roast it at to get the skin and inside to finish simultaneously.

TempF = 21 * TInch^2 - 150*TInch + 600

Came up with this with only a few data points so more would be helpful.

Considering another curve for chicken cooking in oil (i.e. deep fry), but haven't enough data points yet and in that case the browning depends on the surface treatment and breading etc.

I know, I've been working on it too.....

.......just can't seem to get there ......

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made poor assumptions, at least you only made that arithmetic error on line 8.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Will Troutman.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a minus where you needed a plus.

TempF = 600 - 150*Tinch + 21*Tinch^2.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, should have probably used a third or higher order odd polynomial.

Though if you can find a chicken with any part thicker than 4” I’m not sure this would work. The limitation is you can’t cook under 300 or the skin won’t turn out well
      Last edited by Polarbear777; June 11, 2019, 02:01 PM.

• SmokingSteve
      SmokingSteve commented
      Editing a comment
      At least it's smiling!

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Polarbear777 I sometimes bone and tie chickens into ballotines which can be more than 4" thick. I do that with turkeys, too, and they're certainly more than 4" thick.

I feel dumb. I just probe a breast, a leg, set it on the spanek at 325 or so, and maybe nudge it to keep the breast from overcooking while the legs get there.

99% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that is consistent with this, well, that was the goal anyway.

or if you don't like the smiley face,
    TempF = e^ ( -0.2193 * ln(TInch) + 6.1227)

Comment

You are so far beyond my math that I can't even make a joke...

Comment

Log(TempF) = 6.1227 + -0.2193 * log(Tinch).

Click image for larger version

Name:	polarbear777-chicken-2.png
Views:	112
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	693617

Comment

I failed algabra in Junior High School. I can't help out here.

Comment

Polarbear777 - If you would post your data points, I’d be happy to take a least-squares ballpark swing at some curve fitting, too.

Comment

I've been putting alot of thought into this, and I think..."mmmm, bacon"

Comment

It’s tricky because it’s not just heat penetration, but the skin browning and crisping reaction too. Trying to do this completely empirically doesn’t seem to work perfectly either. Fun to try though.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                  JimLinebarger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Being a representative democracy, I don't think we can do it emperorically.

Ah the heck with all the math, I took advance calculus and still can't figure it out. So go by the old tried and true method. Make up a herb and butter rut and put it under the skin. This separates the skin from the meat and allows it to brown while the butter bastes the meat. Just lay it on a roaster rack over a water pan underneath and flip the bird once or twice. 300-350 is a good temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here