Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needed a Vietnamese chicken recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needed a Vietnamese chicken recipe

when you get old enough to have grey hair and wrinkles you know that even though things are bad if you wait long enough they get better. My spouse broke his ankle in March while making maple syrup in our best season ever. We are so lucky to have good people around us - I just found out the two great guys from work are coming out to help split and stack 10 cords of wood. Very kind of them but when I asked what they would like to eat (we need to feed those who help us) spouse just replied that they eat chicken and rice every day at work, sometimes ribs. I asked what type of chicken and he replied unhelpfully "the cluck cluck kind". I love him but when I hear the clink clink of the crutches I can’t help but think of Captain Hook.

i have a duck in the freezer, two fresh chickens and lots of ribs. I have the various Chinese spices and sauces, frozen lemon grass, cilantro. Any suggestions? It doesn’t have to be fancy just good food to thank them.

We did this a couple of weeks ago and it was great. Very simple but tasty. Bee has a lot of simple but tasty recipes.

Comment

How 'bout ribs with an Asian rub? I've not made my own, but if you google it, you will get lots of hits.

Comment

Not a whiz at Vietnamese cookin, but here's a startin point, until members start comin up with some personal faves...

Sorry to hear bout yer Spouse, please send him my best wishes fer a speedy recovery...

Were I in th same situation, why, reckon I'd make my best attempt at their native cuisine, but also offer up some of mine, fer them to experience...

Couple ol gals I worked with, back in th latter 90's, why, they scrimped, an saved fer years. to take a lifelong dream trip to Europe; finally got to do so, not too long afore they retired.

Why we'uns were so delighted fer em, couldn't wait to ask em a million an one questions, once they come back...

I asked em, how was London, how was Paris, etc., havin traveled abroad a goodly deal, my dang self...

They sweetly replied" Why, it was jus like bein here, at home Bones; we stayed in Holiday Inn hotels, ate at McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc.

I was jus dumbfounded; I spent much of my time overseas, seekin out local/regional cuisine...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I so much agree about the dumbfounded remark.

Raichlen has a couple of Asian chicken recipes, one titled Saigon style, in his BBQ Bible. I’ve mixed & matched & they have turned out quite good.

Comment

Well, first you have to go to Vietnam and buy some chickens....

Comment

Okay, here goes...lol

I have made a great deal of ribs with an Asian character. Chinese, Korean, Southeast Asian, etc., and I've learned a few things. In traditional times, fuel was at a premium in many areas, so the way we do "Q" here is not common. Having said that, I've been able to combine our techniques with many of the traditional flavors of the areas in question. Let's focus on Southeast Asia, and ribs..

The easiest recipe is to salt and pepper the ribs, then make a rub with equal parts curry paste and sugar(brown is preferred, but white is good too). You can use red(our house favorite), yellow, green etc. Rub your ribs and smoke as you would any other ribs. For those that don't want heat to the rub, find a good curry paste recipe(Paiilins Kitchen on You Tube will get you there FAST), and substitute mild peppers for hot. Easy, right? You should not need a sauce with these techniques, but if you do, take some of your curry paste, and combine it with reduced coconut milk and brown sugar. Reduced coconut milk is just coconut milk that has been boiled down(reduced) by half. Then add the paste, fish sauce to taste, and sugar/vinegar to your taste. Baste like any other rib cook. To the sauce, you can add cilantro, kaffir lime leaf, lemon grass, or Thai basil. Oh yeah, mint is good too. I never do it the same way twice, as I go by what I have. Oh, another thing, galangal or ginger can be used at any stage. The aromatics will knock you out. You can also add the above aromatics to the rub if not using a sauce.Or you can. Your choice. Both methods are tasty and easy.

Now, if you want to work harder, you can infuse deeper Southeast Asian flavors and mores to your Q. Here's how. Start by pan toasting about equal parts whole coriander and cumin seed in a dry pan. Use mediumish heat and toast the spices till fragrant. Remove from pan, cool, and grind. While the spices are cooling, wash and prepare your ribs to what you like, then dry and apply fish sauce. This is your salt, so be generous. When ribs are thinly coated, apply the ground coriander and cumin, and let rest for at least 2 hours or overnight. Then apply the curry rub from above and continue the cook as described above. This is like Sate in slow motion. One can also use toasted star anise, cardamom seeds(sparingly), and dried chilis to taste. This first rub will help perfume the meat. The idea here is to build layers of flavors.

I hope this helps. It has been the genesis of some fine meals, and some specials, at the restaurant too.

Good cooking from us in Houston, Alaska....
            Last edited by Strat50; June 1, 2019, 12:28 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems like you’ve become an accomplished Asian style cook. How about cooking and sharing a dish with us based on the ideas above? Would love to see some bbq with an Asian twist for those of us who love that style of food.

Of course, these same methods work on chicken. (I just got home from a busy Friday night service, and I'm a bit loopy..lol). Use these same ideas and adjust for chicken cooking times.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello! Been a while! Great to hear from you, Sir!

This one is Korean I made it a few weeks ago and it was super easy and a big hit.

https://kimchimari.com/easy-chicken-...k-bulgogi-bbq/

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Write that up, give it a personal twist, take a pic and share, share, share !!!!

I really like this rub and always make extra so I'll have it on hand when needed. I've also put it on fish and vegetables with success. I had to buy galangal powder on Amazon as it is not common at stores I shop. https://thewoksoflife.com/easy-asian-dry-rub-chicken/

Comment

What I have done is to browse St. Vincent's, and sometimes Goodwill (not as good in selection, or help to the down and out) for cookbooks. I now have multiple cookbooks of many styles and specialties. Have an old Blue cover Joy Of Cooking, plus two White Cover updated/revised Joy of Cooking, 5~6 Chinese books, 3~4 American/Chinese conversion books. Middle eastern, a couple of German, A Bulk Food Prep book...All kinds can be found secondhand. Adapt from that. I personally cannot make the same thing twice, as I season and cook however I feel like doing at the moment.

Comment

I can't keep up with Strat50 , but this one is a family favorite (as you can tell from the discolored pages). Saigon Chicken, from Mai Pham's "Best of Vietnamese and Thai Cooking". Well worth buying.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_171217.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	688939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_171223.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	688940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_172018.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	688941

Comment

We eat lots of Japanese and Korean, having lived in the Yokohama area for 11 years. This is my favorite food blog.

Juicy and flavorful grilled chicken thighs marinated with lemongrass, palm sugar, thai chili, and fish sauce. Enjoy with homemade chili sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here