Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook in batches help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook in batches help

I've got to cook smoked chicken in my pellet grill for 35 people today and I'm looking at two batches 2.5 hours each and trying to figure out how to do this.

Perhaps start one batch 4 hours out and then when it is half cooked - put it in the kitchen oven for finishing while cooking batch two on the smoker ???

I also have a gas grill and a charcoal kettle.

I intend to wrap each piece in aluminum foil and put them into a large Yeti Cooler before transporting to picnic grounds (which also has an oven)

Any direct experience on this will be appreciated.

I would load up either the kettle with charcoal and chunks, or throw a smoke box or aluminum foil pouch of your pellets on the Gasser and cook it all at once.

Comment

One Pitmaster (Jim Minion) contends that the meat stops taking on smoke at 140 degrees. That might help with the oven plan.

Comment

How many chickens are you figuring for 35 people, dlaslo ? I'm curious.

Kathryn

Comment

You can hold and it will be okay but the issue is the skin. It will rehydrate in the hold and lose crispness.

If you can manage running the other cookers all at once will work.

If not I would hold the first batch but use the kettle to blast it indirect at high temp and recrisp the skin when the second batch is almost done.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            How many chickens are you figuring for 35 people, dlaslo ? I'm curious.

Kathryn
            I've got pieces.....20 leg/thigh combos and about 15 bone-in breasts cut in half (50 pieces in all)

I'm debating whether to dry brine them now or skip brining

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck--I'm sure it will turn out great. Thanks for the info.

Kathryn

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely dry brine. You need skin dryness insurance.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, agree with Polarbear777 ...dry brine.
              Have a great yardbird cook, amigo!

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post

If not I would hold the first batch but use the kettle to blast it indirect at high temp and recrisp the skin when the second batch is almost done.
            Good idea

Comment

Probably too late for today but I would have gone for a Georgia style where the skin isn't supposed to crispy but still very delicious. Typically when I know I'm going to be holding a batch for awhile I'll dry brine under the skin for a couple of hours to overnight before applying MMD.

Comment

If you are doing parts, you can also deep fry to finish the held batch. Since they are cooked through you only need a minute or so in 390F oil. The hot oil just gets the outside brown and crisped.

If if you have a cast iron dutch oven you can do that on the gasser, can probably do a few at a time in not that much oil, since they are in and out in a minute.

I know now many say you can just finish chicken over direct heat, but I’ve never done that without losing the skin. Gentler handling but still with very high heat (air or oil) will work better in my opinion.

Comment

If you have time I’m curious if you had much chicken leftover.

Comment

Originally posted by jecucolo View Post
                    If you have time I’m curious if you had much chicken leftover.
                    Yep....had lots of chicken left over. It turned out pretty good, however, the chicken kept cooking in the cooler and was a little dry when served. Bummer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here