Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93% Lean Turkey Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93% Lean Turkey Jerky

Since the weather today was not ideal for fishing – chilly and moist – I decided it would be a good day to make some jerky. The meat used is 93% lean ground turkey. The jerky mixings are from Hi Mountain Seasonings and I used the Cajun Spice and the Mandarin Teriyaki flavors. I used a LEM jerky cannon and the round stick attachment.

I hadn’t had a good result on my last attempt – it was too dry – so I called Hi Mountain and talked with Dede about what the best process would be for doing it on my pellet smoker/grill. The recipe pamphlet calls for 2 hours in an oven at 200*F, OR until the IT reaches 145*F. And since this was poultry, I wanted to know if 145*F was high enough.

She told me that since I’m using cure in the mix that the 145*F is perfect, even for poultry. So, I set the InkBird monitor for 145*F and let ‘er rip. It only took about an hour and 15 minutes to hit 145*F. I pulled a small sample off one of the sticks to taste test for flavor and doneness. In a word, PERFECT!

Cajun Spices

Mandarin Teriyaki

It is without question the best ground meat jerky I have ever made. And next fall when the pheasant preserve season opens back up, I’m going to be producing pheasant jerky by the bushel basket. I have a friend that has a membership and doesn’t like pheasant but kills about 10 to 15 birds a week to give his dog something to do. Lucky me!

I’ll also be looking for sale prices on ground turkey until then.

Life is good!

Congrats on your success.

Comment

I make jerky all the time, but I don't have a cannon so I have never made sticks. I am going to hold onto this post and give this a try.

Comment

Interesting. I actually like turkey jerky the best out of all. I have never made it with a cannon, I usually strip it, dehydrate and smoke.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Comment

I also do solid meat jerky from waterfowl and have a killer marinade that is based on Veri Veri Teriyaki. I always do that in my dehydrator and it is the best jerky I make, bar none. Its the marinade and the lack of smoke flavor is not noticed at all. But that's a different ballgame altogether.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here