Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for boneless turkey breast on pellet grill technique suggestions/request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for boneless turkey breast on pellet grill technique suggestions/request

Got a Butterball 4 lb boneless turkey breast, 20% solution, 410mg/4oz sodium (or so says the label).

1. Brine or no brine? If brine, wet or dry?
    2. Pellet Smoker - what temp?
    3. smoke/cook to what internal temp?
    4. Any wrapping or tenting? if so, where in the process?
    5. Sear or no sear? if sear, I presume reverse sear (after the cook itself...)
    6. Resting time?

many many thanks to any who can share their experience!

I've done them before but didn't write it down. For memory I just seasoned it and smoked it at 275*-325* until it was 165* or so. Then just let it cool and slice it thin for cold sandwiches. We liked it. NO brining, wrapping, or searing and NO extra salt.

Comment

Well, I don't use a pellet grill but my opinions and advice is for any cooker really.

1. Forget this since your is salted already ---> Wet brine! Here's what I use - 1 Gal water, 1 Cup table salt, 1 Cup white sugar - brine for 2-3hrs. You can cut the water & ingredient amounts in half if you don't need a full gallon, or double if you need more (you get the idea).

2. 325 min, up to 375 or even 400. Lean meat needs a quicker cook IMO. Helps prevent dehydration and you don't need any 'low & slow' time to render fats as you would in ribs or something.

3. Pull it when it's at 155 or 160 max in the coolest spot. You'll get some extra carryover temp rise. 165 is the "safe" (instant kill) zone for poultry, but 155-160 are safe if the meat spends a few minutes there, which it will.

4. Nope. Not unless you want rubber skin. Pull, slice & serve immediately.

5. Sear isn't necessary when cooked at 325+ or 350, 375, etc. You'll get a great Maillard brown already. With skin-on, you'll risk flames from drips & charring, with skin-off you risk a tough exterior layer of meat. You CAN though, if you choose to, just not needed.

6. Nope

Depending on the quality of bird you buy, bone-in breasts can be dry suckers. It is popular to inject turkey breasts with some butter or oil. If you are interested in this it will help. Not mandatory. Most important is to give it time to brine properly since not only does this flavor it, but the salt down inside will help prevent moisture loss. Next, DO NOT overcook it! Taking turkey breast much past 160-165 is a recipe for cardboard!

Hope this helps! Happy cooking.

EDIT: I didn't notice the very first sentence (I know, I know...) about it having 410mg sodium already! In this case, yeah, skip brining!

Sorry for my oversight.

Comment

• mschoonmaker
        mschoonmaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks! Any chance you can provide an "expected" time for a 4lb breast @ say 350*? Also, I guess at the higher temp, I should use my Amazn pellet tube for smoke flavor, since the fire itself will not be much of a smoke source at that temp!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only done a couple, and my best memory is ~2 to 2.5hrs. I wish I had written them down, but I hope this steers in you in a safe direction mschoonmaker

I would not brine since it already has salt.

Comment

I basically follow the free side method for Ultimate Turkey. I cooked a full turkey plus a breast only last year. I butter balled the breast only and that was a clear winner.

Comment

I agree with Red Man about not brining. But also agree with what Huskee says about the rest of the process.
          Follow that and you’ll be good to go.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't believe I missed that detail!

A vote for no brine, as its already brined.

Another vote for ultimate turkey method on the free site. About what I did a thanksgiving with a whole bird, only vertical roast on the Grilla.
          Last edited by Potkettleblack; April 16, 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I plan to do a turkey breast on a pellet grill soon, so I am very interested to hear what how you cook and how it turns out.

Huskee I get that low and slow isn't necessary since there is no fat to render, but don't you need lower temps when using a pellet grill to get enough smoke to flavor the meat? Would it be worth it to use lower heat (225) for an hour or two to get some smoke before turning it the rest of the way?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes & no. Poultry is a sponge for smoke, so you will still taste good smoke on it. However, if you want a thick smoke flavor in yours, perhaps start at 200-225, then move it up the last hour to 325-375. Just a suggestion, you will do fine whichever method you choose if you don't overshoot the finished temp.

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

• mschoonmaker
              mschoonmaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I plan to use my a-maz-n pellet tube for smoke, since the pit temps will be too high to create good smoke as you mention...

If it has skin, put butter between the skin and the meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here