Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Leg Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Leg Quarters

Looking to smoke some leg quarters. Would be my first time so I'm looking for some good instruction and suggestions to do so. Thank you in advance!

What are your cooker options?

Comment

• TLuds
      TLuds commented
      Editing a comment
      Kamado Joe Classic

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      I cook my chicken hot and fast in a PBC so not sure I can offer much to your cook. But I am certain The Pit colleagues will jump in with sound advice.

Chicken is hot and fast, don't want to dry it out. Try soaking in Italian dressing for a couple of hours or more.

Comment

Definitely agree on the hot and fast. I like the Italian dressing that HawkerXP mentions above. You can also mix the Italian with some Woodys cooking sauce to change up the flavour. Most rubs work pretty well on chicken as well.

Comment

I use a Kamado joe also. We love the Italian dressing chicken and once in a while for a change of pace I dust them with Cajun seasonin. I do mostly thighs. I start out at about 325 for a few minutes to get the meat started warming. If I skip this step I end up with the classic done on the outside, raw near the bone chicken. I open the top vent up a little after that. Just let the temp slowly climb, your headed for 425 eventually. Here is where an instant read thermometer is so handy. When I get 160 near the bone I open the grill for the rest of the cook and have the tongs ready. You may need to flip them a couple of times to keep them from burning on one side. I take mine off at 180 near the bone. This last step gets me wonderfully crisp skin and good flavor. Like anything else on a Kamado it may take a couple of cooks to dial in exactly how to get the results you want, but it won't take long.

Comment

I always cook poultry around 325°-350° over pecan wood. I dry the chicken skin first, then slather with mayo as a binder and dust liberally with my chicken rub (affectionally known as mother clucker's seasoning). Straight on the grate until an IT of 170° in the thick part of the thigh. Consume immediately upon evacuation of heat, if not sooner. Usually served with Mayo based 'Bama style sauce.

Comment

I hit them with rub and cook indirect at 350 till they hit IT of 170 as well.

Comment

My vote is 375 or higher for thighs. To me, low n slow thighs have rubbery skin and just do not come out as something I find desirable to eat. Personally, I’d cook them at 425°. They’ll turn out EXCELLENT on your kamado and will have plenty of flavor from the drippings alone (flavor bombs)!

Comment

I like to wet brine chicken pieces in 1gal water, 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar for 1 hour. 1-1-1-1. (or halve everything if you don't need a full gallon, but keep the time at 1 hr). Then I hit with an unsalted rub, or Italian herbs like Simon & Garfunkel. Dry brining is a great easy way to do it, save a lot of salt, and get awesome results, but I am a firm believer wet brining chicken pieces is the way to go!

Comment

Check out this post from Troutman lhttps://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...w-slow-chicken

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here