Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - smoked thin turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help - smoked thin turkey breast

A local shop makes smoked turkey breast that's dry to the point of being firm yet still white and far more tender than typical jerky, nice golden color (no skin). You can taste that it'd been both brined and smoked. The interesting thing is that the meat is only about 3/4" thick at the thickest part. It's a delicious, and far easier to eat, alternative to jerky ... and it was NOT all dried out. It had nice moisture in addition to being firm and very edible.

So ... I could use some advice on how to duplicate that turkey. I think, somewhat obviously, that a natural turkey breast perhaps butterflied to try to keep as much natural outside surface (not cut across the grain) as I can. Then I'm thinking a mild overnight brine (need a recipe for that so I can get the salt/sugar/water ratio correct), followed by my Weber Smokey Mountain w/my usual cherry/hickory poultry blend of wood for smoke ... and take it OUT as soon as the internal temperature reaches 165F ... and evaluate. If it's more moist than the stuff described above, then I'll put it into my Big Chief until it firms up / dries up.

Anyone got a better idea? Shoot me down and learn me a-lesson or two!

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

(Sorry ... wish I had a pic, but don't)

I am guessing it is cured. Since a cure will firm it up.. pictures would help alot!!

Comment

Originally posted by Backroadmeats View Post
      I am guessing it is cured. Since a cure will firm it up.. pictures would help alot!!
      Wow ... never thought of that! I'm going to ask some more questions before I attempt my attempt ... Love the idea of having dry finger food that isn't so hard on the molars....

Brian

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        We used to make turkey jerky at a meat locker I worked for.. the best part of making your own is you can get it however dry you want it.. I would get a turkey breast and slice to the thickness you want cure it overnight.. smoke at 225 til you like the moisture.. has to be fully cooked though.. you could also cure it whole then smoke and slice to desired thickness..

My guess its cured other then curing salt and what’s in your brine ingredients I would use no other salt smoke low and slow till it’s the texture you like

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Art View Post
        My guess its cured other then curing salt and what’s in your brine ingredients I would use no other salt smoke low and slow till it’s the texture you like
        Yes ... I got more info on the turkey breast. It's cured and then smoked ... very simple. The guy said it was "Haley's maple sugar cure" (or Hailey's or what?). Can't find the brand online, but he did give me about 2 cups of the stuff. I can't use it without knowing how much to put in per gallon of water etc. Oh well. BUT now I know it's cured and smoked, very simple. I've got books on professionally curing meats and sausages ... I'll look up how to use a sugar/salt/cure brine to cure breast meat and will try that, plus MY rub, and smoking. The stuff mentioned above has no rub... more spicy, more good though!

Brian

Comment

https://www.psseasoning.com/products...han-sweet-cure .this is the cure I use .. I would agine it is pretty similar

Comment

Originally posted by Backroadmeats View Post
            https://www.psseasoning.com/products...han-sweet-cure .this is the cure I use .. I would agine it is pretty similar
            Thanks .. the stuff I got doesn't have instructions, so the above is nice .... never did use the cure that I got. I don't want to guess on how long to brine etc. The one above is pretty good?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here