Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Favorite Chicken

We all probably have a dozen different chicken preparations we can turn to at a moments notice that are all equally satisfying, but when I really want to please my toughest critics (my family!), I go back to my tried and true rotisserie chicken. For all of us that are Meathead evangelists, we know that cooking a whole chicken really isn’t the best way to prepare it. Spotchcocking or even breaking down into quarters is the way to go for back yard pros like ourselves, but somehow this simple rotisserie recipe yields killer results time and time again, so here it is for y’all to do with what you will.

Step 1: make a chicken brine. I use whatever is available. Today I threw in parsley, bay leaf, whole pepper corn, salt, sugar, rough diced carrot, onion and celery and let the chicken hang out over night.

Step 2: Air dry in the fridge for 4-5 hours.

Step 3: Seperate skin on the breast and slide seasoned room temp butter under the skin. Today I seasoned with a home made lemon pepper rub I made from dehydrated lemon peels. Then rub another couple tablespoons of the butter mix over the outside of the chicken skin and then season with another shake of your rub.

Step 4: prep charcoal for ~400 and add a couple chunks of your favorite smoking wood. Today I used apple wood because it was handy.

Step 5: Skewer chicken on rotisserie spit and place directly over the heat. The dripping rendered fat gives off an amazingly aromatic smoke and flavors the chicken even further.

Step 6: spray with a lemon spray (simple syrup, water, fresh lemon juice) every 15 minutes to moisten and cook till the breast registers 155-160.

Step 7: Dig in! I served this with haricot vert and sautéed rainbow chard (I know how y’all are about greens, so feel free to substitute a side of chicken fried bacon or whatever...haha) Good stuff!

pmorse36 Chicken fried bacon? Got a recipe? ;-)

actually this chicken sounds good. Gonna do this over the weekend.

Comment

• pmorse36
      pmorse36 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha I’ll see what I can come up with

I agree that there is something about rotisserie chicken that takes it up a notch. I normally use S&G for the rub though. I'm thinkin' I should make some compound butter using S&G though. Thanx for planting the idea.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll write a recipe for that chicken fried bacon. You sir are a genius!'

Comment

Is this the rotisserie channel? Loves me some roto cacklebirds.

Comment

I like your recipe and method a lot. I will be trying soon. My family prefers rotisserie over spatchcocking any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            I'm thinking I'll write a recipe for that chicken fried bacon. You sir are a genius!'
            ^ Classic Example of th ol adage:

"Takes One, to Know One"
            HouseHomey

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here