Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Hold

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Hold

I have prime rib on the Weber now. I'm going to bring it up to 130 then wrap and in a faux cambro. I will blast in a 500 degree oven to crust up right before serving.
    I would like to hold up to 5 hours, hopefully that's ok ?
    Merry Christmas everyone!!

Merry Christmas. That is a fantastic question. I have held tri-tips, beef ribs, briskets and chuck roasts but have never had a prime rib roast away from the eaters, either by time or distance.

Comment

I would pull it at 115° or 120° maximum. I recently did 12 prime ribs and held the for about6 hours at 160°. They were fantastic!!

i just did two 7 bone whole "tomahawks" to 124° or so and held them to about 90 minutes at 160° and the were great.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I would pull it a little earlier too 120f and allow a little more for carry over cooking.

and allow a little more time at the other end to warm everything slightly more.

you might also consider, once off the fire, vacuum sealing the meat before travel, then you can bring it all to final temp sous vide style and then blast just before service

Comment

Well sir, how did it go?

Comment

• CRO
          CRO commented
          Editing a comment
          It held very well; about 6 hours. Then blasted in a very hot oven to crust it up.
          I'll post a picture later.

Curious too! I hold em for a while sometimes. Today pulled one at 125, rose to 131 over two hours in the cambeo, and fell back to just 130 the whole time. Then the sear!

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          What temperature did you cook at?

• CRO
          CRO commented
          Editing a comment
          Between 200-230 for about 4 hours

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here