Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Famous Troutman's World Famous H.J Leggie's Chicken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Famous Troutman's World Famous H.J Leggie's Chicken!

Man, the Troutman thread on this old chicken recipe really brought it back to a time when we were kids. I couldn't wait to bring back these flavors. Funny, as we progress in our BBQ culinary skills, temp control everything, wrapping meat in plastic and cooking it with water etc.... We forget what got us here in the first place.

His original thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...w-slow-chicken

This all got me to thinking too. What other thing that I have not had in 35-40 years. Sausage. Now I am not a sausage man. In fact I have spent my life trying to love sausage, find the right sausage, make the right sausage etc... And I am in sausage heaven here in the rust belt of Texas. I think even my 7-11 store makes their own sausage. It's just never been my bag, because I could not find the sausage I grew up on. Riding the bike home from school, pulling up to the house and smelling Dad's Kingsford starter fluid smoking up to the sky.

Smelled like supper.

So here's to the stuff we grew up on. No matter how simple or cheap. Dang dang good eats!

Chicken on the new Stampede. It rocked some chicken!

Sausage on the ole WSCGC. Didn't even use the FIreBoard!

​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	611301

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	611302

Name:	IMG_0376.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	611303

Name:	IMG_0385.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	611304

Looks better than excellent!!

Comment

isn't it awsome how history/memory influences your taste buds and who knows....your kids!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Food can change one's life, or perceptions, thereof...
        It's why we must always be diligent, as cooks!
        Nuff said...

Sausage! My favorite was some that a dear departed Aunt used to make. She used a store bought mix and added a few extras to it. I had that recipe and would make it on rare occasions, (rare because my wife doesn't even like to smell it cookin'). However, the company that made the mix stopped making it, so I can no longer duplicate it. However, I can come close with a different mix.

Comment

2x on the Stampede, love mine. Would like to get that chicken recipe, looks awesome. Also, do I see lump charcoal, if so what brand?

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm lovin mine to brother! The recipe is posted in the link to Troutman's post above. The lump I use is always B&B lump. In this case I was just about out and had just a little bit of B&B hickory, and B&B oak. So I mixed the two.

B&B ain’t available in South Florida. Bummer. Thanks for confirming that yard bird pic is the Troutman recipe.

Comment

So glad I woke the old school spirits lurking inside you Lonnie !! Sometimes keeping it simple with basic ingredients is every bit as good as all the cutting edge cooking techniques we employ these days. There’s a reason folks did what they did back in the day, it worked and was delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here