Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The beer can chicken debate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post

All that said, over the past year I've grown to prefer spatchcocked or just split chickens and cook the halves, as they cook faster and more evenly. Since I got my Oxo poultry shears, splitting chickens is no longer a pain in the butt.
    Nailed it. And Ditto good pair of shears, makes all the difference. Plus no one has mentioned the waste of good beer....🤷🏼

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus no one has mentioned the waste of good beer....🤷🏼
      Alcohol Abuse, that is...

I remember buying that vertical rack about 15 years ago....Beer can chicken was the latest craze and those racks were all over the store shelves.

I remember saying to myself...Hmm water boils at 212 degrees and it takes around 970 BTU's (If I remember correctly)to flash 1 LB of boiling water into steam.... Chicken is done at 165..

I remember thinking....Better to pour beer over the chicken....Then I thought....Why waste beer?
    Last edited by troymeister; December 22, 2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thinkin is easily among th best, if not BEST things in this life, in my considered opinion, Brother!

I have a marked propensity t'wards spendin roughly 99.97% of my time, statistically, to thinkin.

Included in that figure are all stats fer over-thinkin things, which I delight in catchin myself at...

'Tis simply my nature, I reckon...

I'm good with that...

Another problem is who has beer cans anymore?

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3CB3EFD-C966-47C2-B035-767E00EE6B72.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	611125

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      In NJ, recycling is take it to the "center". Bottles take up too much space, so usually it's cans run through the hand-operated crusher. Fortunately a lot of micro-breweries are using cans these days.

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the county send me a giant 96 gallon blue bin. Standard is half that size, but if you ask you get a larger one. When I lived in I had a lot of boxes, so I needed a bigger recycle bin. These days sometimes when it gets dumped there is a lot of clinking noises

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      True Dat...
      I have a wall-mounted can crusher; it ain't seen much use in years...
      Other than friends / neighbours cans, it is mainly a Dust Catcher, nowadays...

My Recycle Bin has a decided clinkin noise to it, when emptied by th ginormous contraption that they have on th City trucks, which, sadly, has replaced th Monbacks of my youth...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 22, 2018, 03:33 PM.

I also like those Sierra Nevada flavors! SmokeyGator

Comment

Actually the can is the preferred and with some Brewers the only way to package thier beers. I know when I'm going to drinking a hopped up double IPA I want in the can. No glass required.

Cans have become the choice container for craft beer, a trend brewers say was partly borne from cost-effectiveness, but has resulted in a genuine preference by consumers. Cans were once considered …

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        No oxidation potential, anyway.

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        Sierra Nevada also sends stuff out in cans. But most of the time all I can find are bottles. Cans do take up less space.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I greatly prefer Miller Lite in cans over bottle or tap. But I tend to prefer most beers on draft over bottled, then bottled over canned.

I was a beer can guy until I read Meathead on it, and then stopped using the cab. Vertical roast is the truth, the way and the light.

The worst part of vertical roast, and the main advantage that spatchcock had was in carving. But then I learned to carve the bird on the vertical roaster, and it’s over. Hell, I did my turkey vertical.

Comment

I tried the Weber chicken butt thingy but didn't notice any difference in the flavor, but as mentioned above it cooked nicely. However, I put some anejo tequila and herbs in the little cup and combined with the drippings it can make the base for a very good pan sauce. Hmmm, now where did I hide that little sucker...

Comment

Never had chicken as moist and juicy as from a spatchcocked bird. It’s the ONLY way I cook poultry.

Comment

Started doing spatchcocked chicken a couple years ago injected with creolbutter and won't do it any other way now. I cook it on my Camp Chef pellet grill.

Comment

Name:	20181216_170128.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	611407

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Yesssss!!!!!

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Yer gittin good at that picher takin!

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                I want to Salute that bird

Full disclosure I didn't put a beer can in there.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                never mind the beer.. lol

Name:	20181223_085108.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	611550

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I've never even read a single recipe in this book. I picked it up for $3 a while back. Going to take a look now...

Originally posted by SmokeyGator View Post
              Another problem is who has beer cans anymore?

Name:	D3CB3EFD-C966-47C2-B035-767E00EE6B72.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	611125
              I keep a few on hand at all times.

Name:	20181223_133956.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	611743

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here