Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Roasted Whole Duck with Asian Flavors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Roasted Whole Duck with Asian Flavors

Tried something a little different today. I ordered some gorgeous ducks for the holidays from Maple Leaf Farms and had some free time this afternoon to take a trial run. I decided to offset the heavy duck with some light Asian flavors and sides and it turned out to be a true winning combination!

I started by scoring the skin and dry brined over night to ensure an extra crisp skin. As you can see, I went a little deeper than intended in my scoring, but I don't think it affected the results.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (4).jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	609519
    I cooked the duck on the pellet smoker with a mix of cherry and hickory at 300 degrees with a drip pan to collect all of that liquid gold! She cooked for 4 hours at 300 and I flipped at the top of each hour. After 4 hours, I cranked it up to 400 to crisp the skin for about 15 minutes. Finally, I added my glaze which consisted of 3 tablespoons OJ, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup orange marmalade, fresh chopped ginger, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and ~1.5 tablespoons of chili garlic sauce. After glazing, I let it set up for about 5 minutes, then pulled it off to rest. While it rested, I continued with my Asian flavors theme by whipping up some wasabi and roasted garlic mashed potatoes and a mixed green salad with a sesame oil and ginger dressing.

Name:	image2 (3).jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	609516Click image for larger version

Name:	image3 (1).jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	609517 The skin ended extremely crispy and not fatty at all. The meat stayed incredibly juicy and flavorful. We added a little drizzle of the glaze over the breast meat, but the legs and thighs didn't need a thing. As a nice bonus, I collected about a cup of prized rendered duck fat in my drip pan for various uses this Christmas!

Happy holidays everyone!

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	609518
    Attached Files

What a terrific cook, write up & pics also. Well done my man, well done.

Comment

Looks spectacular. Haven’t had duck in years but this makes me want to have it again. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I agree - well done.

Comment

That looks like a bona fide feast. Great idea and beautiful cook. Hope it tastes like it looks for you!

Comment

Oh, yeah ... duck is the best ...

Comment

I must admit I'm not a fan of duck but that looks and sounds delicious! Great write up!

Comment

Well done good sir .... score marks and all !!! We love duck, usually get it cooked at the Asian markets here in town. The crispy skin is killer, best part of the bird !!! Nice work, thanks for writing this up !!!

Comment

Quack!

Comment

Thanks guys! As an avid duck hunter, it kills me to buy domestic duck, but as a new father with a job that keeps me on the road and a marriage I would like to keep, this is the best I’ll likley get this year . Haha

i am using the leftovers for shredded duck, shitaki and goat cheese egg rolls for our holiday party this evening.

Comment

Very nice! I have never tried to cook duck before, maybe I should add this to my list.

Comment

that glaze sounds killer for duck. Definitely bookmarked to come back to this later on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here