Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking time - Spatchcocked Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking time - Spatchcocked Turkey

I see many referenced to Meatheads' "Spatchcocked Turkey RECIPE. Where does one find it? His book RAVES about the superiority of spatchcocking the turkey but given no info on cooking time.

I'd like to know how cooking time changes for a spatchcocked turkey. Help!

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Has outdoor instructions on there, too. And a video link.

Comment

Spatchcocking makes it heat more evenly without heating up an empty cavity. The last one I did was 19 pounds and took 3 hours at 325.

Comment

It is important to measure temperature rather than time whether spatchcocked or not. I did a 12 pounder spatchcocked in about 2 hr 15 min at 325.

Comment

The ones I do are typically around 13 - 15 lbs, and take a couple of hours at 325 or a little higher.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Master Club! Thanks for joining up! Cook by temperature, not time. This is the number one mistake people make when cooking a turkey. It should take about 2 1/2 hours at 325 F. this is only a guideline.

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
            • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
            • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

And here I was going to send you to the spatchcocked turkey department but others beat me to it. When you are doin yer turkey, take some pics & share em. It’ll be cool to see how it turns out for ya. Welcome, eat good & have fun!
              Check yer temps, yessir.

Comment

The food ain't done till it's done. So you've probably figured out spatchcocked poultry takes less time, cuz it does.

Whether of not the bird was factory brined, the accuracy of your cooking temp, the weather - everything affects the cook a bit one way or another. But it is done, when it's done.

Comment

Don't make the same mistake I made the first time I spatchcocked a turkey, lol. After I cut out the spine and turned it over to break the breast bone, I did not push down hard enough so it did not actually lay flat. (It still turned out great, just took a little longer to get to the right temp at the breast.) Coworkers were raving about it when i shared some at work!

Comment

• T-bone
                    T-bone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had the same problem last year when we got a monster turkey (20+ lbs). It would only mostly flatten with such a tough breast bone. This summer at a class with Danielle "DIVA Q" Bennett, she suggested on bigger turkeys to lay the bird breast side down and run a sharp knife through the top of the breast bone. Then flip the bird over, press down on the top breast bone and it should snap and flatten easier. Sounded like a great tip, but I won't get to try it until Christmas Eve.

I guess it depends on what you're cooking it in. I spatchcocked 2 16lb birds and hung them in the Pit Barrel Cooker for Thanksgiving and it took about 1:45. Best turkey I've ever cooked.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JCBBQ did you completely cut them in half and hang them like I see in the chicken videos? Or literally just spatchcock them leaving them as one large butterflied but intact bird? Asking for a "friend" who thinks Santa is bringing a PBC and is curious if he needs the turkey hanger accessory or not. 🎅🏻

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FishTalesNC 2 intact birds. Just removed their spines. I bought the turkey hangers but ended up not using them. Don’t know if I will now.

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Makes sense, thanks JCBBQ !

My version is between his and this one https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/...tchcocked.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here