Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Grilled Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Grilled Chicken

Okay, not grilled chicken ..... but thought I would post it anyway. Making Coq au Vin today. Mine is a riff on Julia’s recipe. And, naturally I use my own bacon and thyme and rosemary from the garden :-). I also add some of the techniques I have learned here :-)

8 oz bacon, cut into lardons
    4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    1 bay leaf
    6 oz tomato paste
    1/4 cup cognac
    2 cups red wine - something rustic, preferably
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    8 oz mushrooms (white, button, cremini, whatever) - cut into bite size pieces
    8-10 sprigs of thyme and rosemary, tie into a bundle
    some olive oil for sautéing

1. Absolutely dry brine that chicken. Mine has been dry brining for about 24 hours now. I get salt directly on the meat, into the cavity of the bird and onto the skin. Then I leave it in the fridge for 24 hours.

2. Day of, cut your chicken up into pieces and preheat the oven to 350F.

3. Cook the bacon until fat renders and bacon begins to get crispy. Reserve the bacon

4. Cook the onion until translucent. Then add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Add some olive oil if needed.

5. If you like, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of flour over the chicken as you cook it. Brown the chicken, working in batches. 4-5 minutes per side, get each side a deep golden brown

6. Remove the chicken and reserve

7. Deglaze the pot with a few ounces of wine, then add the soy sauce and tomato paste and stir together. Cook for 3-4 minutes until beginning to boil. Add the wine. Add the chicken, thyme, rosemary, cognac, bay leaf. Add enough stock to almost cover the chicken. Cover and let come to simmer while cooking the mushrooms

8. In a separate pan, sauté the mushrooms to golden brown.

9. Add mushrooms to the pot, make sure the liquid is simmering. Put covered pot in the oven. Cook until chicken is braised tender, about 45-60 minutes.

10. Reserve the chicken, bring liquid to a slow boil on stove top and simmer to reduce to desired thickness. I like it when it will coat the back side of a spoon.

11. Add bacon and chicken back to liquid and allow to reheat, 5-10 minutes.

Serve over fresh pasta or mashed potatoes (or even roasted potatoes, if you like)

I’m just starting, so I will post more pictures as I go. Heres my prep work

Click image for larger version  Name:	79D612C3-0486-4E70-B888-CFFF34F51288.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	604946Click image for larger version  Name:	D17A2172-6C2B-43FF-A781-646CC501ED9E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	604947Click image for larger version  Name:	AD359B8F-0053-4FD3-B532-C6BB595CDEF0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	604948
    Last edited by ecowper; December 9, 2018, 05:07 PM.

Don’t forget to sample the wine and the cognac and make sure it is good enough for your dish :-)

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Spoken like a man who knows his s**t!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      That would have never occurred to me....

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I’m sure that’s right .... NOT

Grabbed the fresh herbs out of the garden and chopped the chicken. Still got about 90 minutes before I actually start cooking, so you guys have to put up with me :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	C6692857-F40E-4F0F-A0FD-B9BAE47BB892.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	604995Click image for larger version

Name:	F4E1EE3E-EF63-41F5-BECD-C4599A58CCFB.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	604996

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike it froze up here last week. But some of the herbs are still okay, so I harvested and used ‘em

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Lucky man, we're talking about doing an indoor setup. It absolutely galls me to have to buy herbs from a store during winter. Same with zucchini!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike harvest them, chop ‘em up, mix ‘em with some olive oil and put it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pull out of the tray and store in freezer bags. Darn near fresh. Also, trust me, in a few more days I won’t have any fresh herbs left.

Looks like a great adventure, on th way to some Incredible Food, Brother!

I'm still fairly palpitatin at th mere thought of growin bacon, in my garden - clearly, I have some research to git after

Lookin forward yer results, thanks fer th great writeup, sharin yer methods, techniques, an receipt with us all...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      What, you’ve never grown your own bacon brother?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      When I was young, we did, but I ain't got th space now, even though my neighbours might be cool with it...
      (It takes a Village...)

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I haven’t grown bacon since I was a little one myself. I just used some bad punctuation up above.

Sounds mighty good.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      one of my all time favorite winter dishes .... almost as good as Texas Chili.

My wife snagged some good pappardelle at the store, so doing that instead of mashed potatoes like I had planned.

Name:	209111F8-EC97-4F6A-8213-92EF49A9CF97.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	605018

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice improv.

Here’s the prep phase ..... just got to the point where the pot went in the oven.

Name:	6F78B210-76E2-4F2B-906B-5158DC70C25A.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	605075Click image for larger version

Name:	5B3EE77B-2D75-40BD-A889-317E6939DCE0.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	605076Click image for larger version

Name:	065D9C78-9811-4626-8CD4-2E9F0766BA7F.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	605077Click image for larger version

Name:	A336DFD7-E28C-4142-96C6-F77A93D6B4E9.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	605078Click image for larger version

Name:	9618C07B-6ACF-4D9E-9CA0-46EB97C25FB5.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	605079

And, of course, I had to check the cognac and wine to make sure it was acceptable

Name:	DB691957-607B-4BF9-B903-1910A844F4F5.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	605080

Attached Files

Comment

Salad .... I brought home some pomegranates and Fuyu persimmons from my uncle’s place in Artois when I was down there a couple weeks ago. So, making a spinach, persimmon, and pomegranate salad to go with it.

Name:	53B7B8C4-68E9-41CD-89BE-30813B9C80F3.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	605088

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        How do they pronounce it down there: Ar-tois, or Ar-twah? Knowing where it is I'm guessing Ar-tois, and one might get one's eye dotted by calling it Ar-twah.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ar-tois ..... saying it the French way will get you a poke in the eye CaptainMike

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        That finally settles that, thank you.

"And, naturally I use my own bacon and thyme and rosemary from the garden :-)."

I wanna know how to grow bacon in my garden!!

Name:	zinger.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	605099

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        First, you gotta go to the feed store and order a piglet ....

Ohhhhhhhhh ..... it’s coming along beautifully ...... breast is about 145F .... probably another 25-30 minutes to get to the tender braised stage :-)

Name:	4F64486F-D988-49E9-8264-23ADC3EA8DA0.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	605105

Comment

Hennessy for chicken!!! My God, man have you no shame?? Do you also use Dom Perignon for mimosas??

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That was the only cognac I could find in the whiskey cabinet :-/

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same. Go with what you can find. Out here it can be tough. We are not at the end of the world but you can see it from here.

My wife and daughters asked for the chicken to be de-boned ..... so I did that while I was reducing the sauce. here’s the outcome!

Click image for larger version  Name:	CA251628-6FE5-42D1-983D-34459EB35F74.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	605166Click image for larger version  Name:	7A628DE2-A324-4344-BBF1-DB995B4B4FEB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	605168Click image for larger version  Name:	543A44A1-CAAC-4BD1-82CD-40C54F2D293E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	605167

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Again, I can smell that down here!! Nicely done Bro!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike you should try that salad man .... Spinach, pomegranate seeds, Fuyu persimmon and a balsamic vinaigrette

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful ecowper, I love a goode Coq au Vin, nice work !!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here