Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

want to smoke skinless boneless chicken thighs, need advice, (doing them on a gasser)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to smoke skinless boneless chicken thighs, need advice, (doing them on a gasser)

I want to smoke boneless, skinless chicken thighs on my gasser. Have not found anything specific yet on the site. Help, please.

Do them largely the same as skin-on. In my opinion, a quicker higher temp cook still works ok, but if you're worried it would dry the exterior too much you can do them lower. I like to cook skinless thighs at 300ish, give or take, and I drizzle clean marinade on them a few times to prevent the hard outer layer. If you're using a rub, I'd say go lower, 225-250 to help the rub set and start to 'bark up'. I take my dark meat to 180-190. I don't care for the slimy texture of just-done 165 dark meat.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
      SmokingSteve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Huskee!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on the 180 to 190. I would also marinate them overnight.I know the marinade doesn’t soak in but the two or three soy sauces I use does. At least brine em.

A done them a number of different ways on my BGE. I have cooked the indirect as low as 225 and as high as 350. I have also cooked them direct a 350, but 8” from the fire. Use your favorite rub.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The BGE and boneless skinless thighs are a match made in gastronomic heaven. It is my most cooked meal, every year.

To adapt to a gasser: indirect, 325-350. Or, direct on medium, flipping frequently. Either should work.

I don’t smoke them, they get done very quickly. I mix bottled bbq sauce and bottled Italian dressing together, marinate the thighs for 15 minutes to an hour, and grill them.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca I’ve marinated the in Mojo Crillo which adds great flavor. Like you, boneless skinless chicken thighs are my go to chicken cook. But, I love wings on occasion.

I know this is an aged thread, but I was looking around for some ideas to indirect grill/smoke some boneless skinless chicken thighs, and stumbled across this thread.

LA Pork Butt's suggestion of using Mojo Crillo sounds flipping excellent. My wife loves it, and I am fond of it too. This would be a nice change of pace from using the S&G rub I use on 99% of chicken I cook.

I will be using a BGE with an approximate temp of 325° F.

Three questions:

1) How long would you marinade?
    2) Assuming there is likely salt in a store bought marinade, I reckon there is no advantage to salting the chicken prior to putting them in the marinade, correct? Maybe?
    3) Would there be suggested rub to use on the marinated chicken once it is ready to grill/smoke, or would the marinade be doing the heavy lifting as it were?

Comment

micbeane19

1. Minimum of an hour for most marinades. Personally I like to give most marinades a few hrs if not all day (prep in morning) then adjust from there if you find it too strong or not strong enough.
      2. Depends what brand or if homemade. Taste it. If it tastes really salty, skip the salt. If not, maybe add a light shake of salt before you place in the BGE. Salting before adding to a non-salty marinade may pull the salt into the solution and out of the meat and not accomplish much. I usually salt after marinading if it needs it, before grilling.
      3. Again, likely depends on subjectivity/preference, but most likely the marinade would do the job. Depends on the recipe though.

Comment

• micbeane19
        micbeane19 commented
        Editing a comment
        1 & 2 & 3) Not a problem - I planned on dropping them in store bought marinade tomorrow. Yes, I know I should make it myself but I had a bottle of Goya's Mojo Criollo that was use it or lose it.

This are boneless skinless thighs from Costco, the ought to cook quickly.

You guys rock, thanks for chiming in!

micbeane19 I will sometimes scatter wood pellets on the fire to add some smoke. Lately I have been trimming the excess fat, pounding them flat and cooking them at 375 at the felt line flipping them every 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 1, 2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I have started wrapping boneless skinless chicken thighs in thin bacon and a little rub after a dry brine, starting them at a lower temp and raising the temp half way thru to crisp up the bacon, the crowd loves them.

Comment

I do them a few different ways. My favorite is rub or marinade then set up two zone grill. Indirect covered until nearly done. Then grill them on the hot side to brown them up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here