Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help, have a turkey breast needing to be smoked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help, have a turkey breast needing to be smoked.

I just bought a turkey breast to smoke tomorrow, but haven't ever smoked one. What's your best recipe and times? I tried searching the site, but didn't really come up with anything. FWITW, I'm also smoking a pork butt and doing it all on hickory.

There's a BBQ place here in town my wife always gets turkey breast from, I'm trying to win her over!!

Simon and Garfunkel rub, see the main site. I would think breast only is less then 2 hours at 320*.

Comment

Raw breast? Wet brine with some flavors first. Then apply rub and smoke at 250 to 275. Spritz every hour at least with some apple juice and I like to mix it with cherry schnapps. All the sugar in the spritz will help with crispy skin.

Comment

Brining tonight will help the flavor and texture when you cook it tomorrow.

Comment

I've never used a brine, I'll have to give that a try, if I can find a recipe. thanks for the help!!

Comment

There is a brine calculator as a sticky post

Comment

Is it skin on or off? If no skin, low and slow will work. If it's skin on, you might consider hot and fast indirect to crisp up that skin.

As far as the brine goes, I would dry brine with kosher salt, (uncovered in the refrigerator if the skin is on). Salt about the way you would if salting to eat, but on all sides.

Comment

Brine 24 hrs, salt water boubon and your favorite rub. Cook indirect at350, brush with butter and maple syrup. Even leftovers are moist.

Comment

Meathead’s method for turkey is easily adapted to just the breast. Dry brine, Simon & Garfunkel rub, cook at 300-325 until 160F :-)

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Comment

Turkey came turned out awesome, thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up wet brining it with apple cider, cider vinegar, rosemary, thyme and other seasonings (recipe I found online). I did mix up the Simon and Garfunkel rub (minus the sage...we're not fans of sage) As I said, my wife's not a huge fan of smoked meats, my BIL turned her off when he'd smoke a brisket with nothing but mesquite and it of course completely overpowered the flavor of the meat. I gave her a sample as I was cutting the breast and she said she wanted more. She ended up standing next to me while I was cutting up the breast "sampling" it. Without saying anything to me she gave me the biggest compliment she's ever given me in almost 25 years of marriage!! Now to get the pork butt of the smoker... Sorry, I forgot to take some pictures. She did ask if I wanted to smoke another one for Christmas too. I'd say for my first smoked turkey it was a complete success!! Thanks again for the inputs!!

Comment

Fantastic Job, Amigo!

Winnin yer Missus over was bout th biggest coup a cook could ever hope to pull off!!! Congrats!

Since ya got some time to plan, make sure to git some pics of yer Christmas cook, then ya'll be offa th hook, lol! JK

Comment

That’s fantastic fowlsuds ..... who knows, you might one day get her to try some brisket :-)

Try cooking a whole turkey. If it’s just the two of you, go with a young Tom .... 9-10 lb young Toms are outstanding and you will have just enough leftovers.

Comment

Congratulations and well done.

Comment

Well done! That not only tastes good - it feels good too! How did the pork butt turn out?

Comment

I love to read "happy wife" stories here. Congrats on winning your wife over to the wonders of well-smoked foods, fowlsuds . That turkey is just the start, I'm guessing. Maybe she'll give some of that pulled pork a try next.

How long did it take for that breast, at what pit temp?

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here