Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a "grill topper"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a "grill topper"?

Canned smoked almonds taste just okay. Smoking nuts on the grill makes them truly extraordinary. Serve these smoke almonds straight, mixed with dried fruit, or sprinkled as garnish on your favorite dishes. You could even crush them to top chicken. If you don't have a smoker or grill you can make this recipe in your indoor oven.

"3) Cook. Place on an oiled grill topper and smoke for 30 minutes,"

Wanna try this recipe...but what exactly is a "grill topper"?

Thanks!

It is a wire screen rack that allows heat and smoke to enter from the bottom. Great for nuts, seafood, and anything too small to cook on a regular grill. I will look for a photo for you.

Comment

A photo of a grill topper: Click image for larger version  Name:	F558232B-9DB3-46CD-91D3-1B20F14728BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	33.5 KB ID:	597176they make them with smaller grids which is what I use for nuts and shrimp.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Basically a grill topper is anything that prevents small bits of food from falling through the grates and still lets smoke through and grease drain off.

Comment

A grill mat might work better. It's like a teflon screen. The holes are small enough that the nuts can't fall through:

https://www.amazon.com/Grillaholics-...rilling+topper

I bought some but have not used them yet. Since they are supposed to be non stick, I thought they would work for nuts or salmon.

Comment

I use the grill mat for smoking nuts - works great!

Comment

Thanks all. I have a grill mat, I'll try that! Love me some smoked almonds...

Comment

All the recipes for smoking nuts tell you to flip them after about 15 minutes. One little trick that I use is to take the grill topper/mat and place it into an oversized sheet pan to do the fliping in it. No matter how careful you try, some of the nuts will fall off the topper. This saves them from falling down into the smoker when trying to flip, and saves those nuts for eating.

Comment

Hello. I have a question / comment with regards to temperature. The recipe calls for smoking at 225-250 but I think that's much too low. I have previously roasted nuts in the oven at 300F with fantastic results. The nuts are crunchy and beautifully roasted. I find at this 225-250, the nuts are not fully roasted even when left much longer.... Hence I am tempted to smoke some nuts at 300F 15 mins then turn them over and again for 10 mins. Then I aim to transfer them into a 300F oven which has just been turned off and let them cool in there... (the oven recipe says turn the oven off after 25mins and leave them in there for at least 2 hours). Very interested in your experiences before trying this idea. Cheers.

Comment

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I bake almonds and pecans regularly in the oven at 325* for 12 min. I remove immediately and let cool on the cookie sheet. The higher the temp, the less room there is for error in the timing. Since it's harder to hit an exact temp with a smoker, a lower temp might make the timing easier?

• Donw
                      Donw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I smoke at 300-325 from the start for 15 minutes, toss out of the smoker for a very brief cool down period, and then continue for another 5-15 minutes. Much better crunch. Then straight to cooling. In the rare batch that doesn’t seem quite right, back into the inside oven for a few minutes.

I buy the aluminum foil grill toppers as I can just toss them when done. They were cheap to buy and I don't use them very often.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here