Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock Turkey

As I browse through my FB this morning, I see lots pics of whole roasted birds. I see none spatchcocked. Why? It is THE only way to roast a turkey. It takes a little bit more preparation but is well worth the effort. Wifey kept asking me, "why haven't you started the turkey?" I told her it would only be a couple hours. This was a 14# bird. Sure enough, just about 2 hours after putting in the oven, she was done. The turkey, not wifey.

There is the added bonus of not tying up the oven, if you don't use the grill, for 5-6 hours and generating all that heat in the kitchen (South Florida problem).

That being said, I wonder if anybody has used an electric knife to remove the spine? Even my stout kitchen shears have a tough time getting through the bones.

Cheers y'all.

CosmicMiami I agree with you on every day of the year regarding spatchcocking...other than Thanksgiving. In my opinion, the whole roasted bird is an important part of my Thanksgiving tradition. And I also enjoy the challenge of cooking it as perfectly as I can (admittedly it isn't as much of a challenge with Meathead's guide).

Comment

BTW, I'm not condemning frying or smoking. Just saying that if one chooses to roast, this is the one and only method to assure a juicy, tasty bird.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_173131_064.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	596576

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a perfect looking bird. Very nice..

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Steve B

That's bomb, baby. Daaaaaaang.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a real like pulling a brody in the parkin' lot 'Daaaaaaang'.

I spatchcock every year. This year I did two. There’s a bunch posted over on the "Show Us What You’re Cooking" thread.

Comment

I spatchcock for the smoker. I’m sold on the idea. Throws off the traditional presentation but the end results more than make up for that.

EXCEPTIONS: rotisserie and deep fried. Growing up my dad would use an electric rotisserie often, mainly to free up the oven for other stuff for my mom. But I have a charcoal fired oven, which frees up the electric oven for my wife. And I use the outdoor cooker as much as possible to avoid heating up the house.

Comment

• CosmicMiami
            CosmicMiami commented
            Editing a comment
            Greetings fellow 305er.

I wasn't really looking for pics of spatchcock. I was wondering about using an electric knife to remove the backbone and ruminating on why so many (not those here) are still relying on the old-fashioned way of roasting turkey whole. Seems like a dinosaur method to me.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ours was really difficult this year. I started with the kitchen shears, and got 2/3 way through it, then hit a thigh bone. The ever-enterprising wife got out the rarely used meat cleaver and a dumb-weight mallet, and finished the job quickly.

• BGWolf
            BGWolf commented
            Editing a comment
            I went to Harbor Freight and bought a pair of tin snips especially for working with food. Makes spatchcocking a turkey easy and makes quick work of removing the "knuckles" from chicken thighs. Toss them in the dishwasher and be sure to dry them well and lube them with some veggie oil .

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a dedicated pair of pruning shears. Works like a charm

CosmicMiami, maybe it is the dinosaur method, but when the wife say whole, I say "yes, dear".

Comment

I spatchcocked mine this year. As others have mentioned, my shears stood no chance. I ended up getting the cuts as far as possible with a sharp knife and then using the cleaver to power the rest of the way through.

Comment

Call me crazy, but couldn’t just have the butcher do the spatchcock?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you could - and why not? Ask for the backbone for stock/gravy.

• OneEyedJack
                OneEyedJack commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely keep the back bone for gravy. There is a killer recipe for gravy in the November issue of Cook's Illustrated, "Game-Changing Turkey Gravy." The technique lets allows you to make the gravy a few days ahead so it only needs reheating on the day of dining, thus saving a huge hassle when you have lots of stuff to cook.

In my case, spatchcocking wouldn't fit in the turkey roaster, which has given us a juicy, delectable bird every year. And since we host my family, why mess with perfection....

Comment

Spatchcocking the bird is always my go to as well. A 24 lb bird was at 160* (breast temp) using an Akorn in 2.75 hours and was very tasty! (I should mention I suppose that living on a farm we remove the backbone a little differently. I've tried shears but ug. We use a reciprocating saw. It's way easier tho unconventional.)
                Last edited by Holysmoke; November 26, 2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Sawzall - why didn't we think of that? Thanks!

Spatchcocking is the ONLY way I cook whole turkey - It’s far superior. "Presenting" the whole bird on the dinner table has never been a part of our tradition (neither mine nor my wife’s family). What it looks like in the oven is of no concern when everyone’s used to a plate of carved turkey showing up on the dinner table.

But my in-laws *definitely* has their doubts the first time they saw me cooking. They haven’t said anything since they took the first bit of my turkey a few years ago!

Holysmoke Beat me to the punch: I was gonna say reciprocating saw...but my suggestion was part joke. Glad to know it really works. I may try it next year, as that spine can be a beast to get out!

Comment

• wu7y
                  wu7y commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So a circular saw would probably not be a good idea?? :-)

• Santamarina
                  Santamarina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chainsaw?

• Holysmoke
                  Holysmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. The chainsaw was a disaster The recip saw with a long metal cutting blade is the charm. It's definitely a two person job, one to cut and another to hold the bird, but it only takes about 30 secs to get the bone out. And, really, which one of us won't feel the thrill of having a serious power tool in the cooking process!

The standard kitchen shears (that typically come with knife sets) are terrible at cutting through the bones and make things complicated.

A couple of years ago I finally stepped up to the OXO Good Grips Spring Loaded Poultry Shears. They make a world of difference. Super easy to cut right through with little effort. Love to use them on whole chickens, as well.

They are $25, but they do make life easier.

**The link above is for Amazon, but I've found any old Bed Bath & Beyond carries them on the shelves as well.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I broke at least one, maybe two pairs of kitchen shears last Thanksgiving. This year I went to the store and picked up those Oxo poultry shears and boy! What a difference. There were still some tough spots, but the sheers helps up, and I love that they come apart for easy cleaning.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF You need to keep your conventional shears. They are useful for other stuff. I don't think the curved blades on the poultry shears will be as good for some of the other things my wife cuts in the kitchen.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the advice, jfmorris !

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here