Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple thoughts:

1. a freed-up oven on Thanksgiving, even though I've come to despise the thing, is in fact a wonderful advantage.

2. I told my wife '2 hours'. She said 'No way'. It was 2 hours.

3. Harbor Freight is one of the best places to buy kitchen and grilling accessories.

peace - out.
    Last edited by raywjohnson; December 4, 2018, 11:04 PM. Reason: remove broken image

Comment

These Fiskars hand shears do the trick for me. Like scissors cutting through construction paper.

Shop Fiskars Carbon Steel Bypass Hand Pruner with Standard Handle at Lowe's.com. This rugged and reliable Bypass Pruner is ideal for making clean cuts through green, living growth. A specially formulated UltraBlade blade coating helps the

Comment

Throughout my life, turkey has been dry, tough and tasteless. It's not a sensible dish in the middle of a stinking hot Australian summer at Christmas, where it is cooked very badly by people who feel obliged to serve it out of (colonial) tradition, but have no idea or interest in doing it well. Plus we don't have that whole Thanksgiving thing and I'd never heard of Normal Rockwell...

But thanks to this site, and to the strange idea of grilling this historically awful bird, a couple of years ago I decided to try one of Meathead's ultimate turkey methods for a family Christmas Day lunch. Spatchcocked and smoked a small 4kg (~9lb) turkey on our Aldi not-quite-a-Weber grill for 1.5 hours with a touch of wood smoke, and the result was a bit of a revelation.

So this will be my third Christmas doing spatchcocked turkey on the chargrill, unless there is a total fire ban on Christmas Day, in which case it will be squished into the oven somehow. Whole turkeys are not easily available outside of the Christmas lead-up so it would be a waste of time and money trying any other method.

Also thanks to reading this thread and struggling with kitchen scissors I'm going to clean my garden shears for the job or buy those Oxo poultry shears.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome! Glad to hear you've come to appreciate turkey done right. And I just sprung for those poultry shears myself!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here