Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-Thanksgiving musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Thanksgiving musings

A few thoughts (and no pictures):

1) The 26-inch Weber Kettle/SNS is a well-oiled machine. No better bang for the buck for versatility and down right effectiveness.

2) I tried something different this year with my turkey. I usually spatchcock my bird, but this year I decided to separate the breasts and leg quarters from the carcass. I salt brined them for 36 hours and then seasoned with S&G rub in an oil paste. Breasts were injected with butter. Smoked as usual at ~340 with oak and apple. Breasts were done in an hour. Leg quarters done in 1 1/2 hours. Breasts easy to slice because no bones and had great flavor because all sides were hit with the seasoning paste. Skin was easy to slice and perfectly bite through. Flavor was excellent! Sorry, no pictures.

3) After separating the breasts and leg quarters, I saved the neck and back to make Meathead’s au jus. If you have never done this, I highly recommend it. The au just keeps the turkey moist and just soaks into the stuffing, imparting great flavor. Even though Meathead is a Gator, he has some decent ideas/recipes.

4) I used the remaining carcass and wings to make a nice overnight turkey stock. I just cut the carcass into pieces, placed it and the wings into my crockpot with onions, carrots, celery, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns and let it cook overnight on low. In the morning I had a fragrant house and 10 cups of rich turkey stock that was put to good use making the stuffing and other sides needing stock.

**All in all, I really felt like I got maximum use out of that turkey compared to past years and cleanup was a lot easier. There was also very little wasted meat. Now, if the turkey is your big centerpiece, this isn’t the way to go. But if you are like us and slice the turkey and serve it on a serving plate, then I think this is the way to go.

5) I tried Kenji’s Sage and Sausage Stuffing recipe and it was incredible! I highly recommend it. The only think I did differently is I made in into "muffings" (meaning, I cooked the stuffing in muffin pans). Another good idea by Meathead. Maximum crust for maximum flavor. I can’t wait to eat leftovers!

Sorry, I didn’t take pictures.... but everything I said is true.

An excellent writeup an tutorial, Brother!

Comment

Thanx for this.

Comment

Sage and sausage muffings? Lord help me... that’s gonna happen here, and I’m not waiting til next Thanksgiving! 👍🏻

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it. They're amazing. And you can use the muffings as a sandwich slider bun for your turkey the next day. If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Muffing turkey slider... 🤯

Sounds really good. Thanks for the lesson!

Comment

Spatchcocked again this year. I quartered the bird the first time I smoked one, and may try it again next year so I can put the dark meat in earlier. Great write up. Def giving me as few other ideas for next year!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here