Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thursday Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Dinner

The Y and I have decided we are gonna do Duck. I've never done Duck, before so I'm really looking forward to it. he bought a whole one but since it is just the two of us, we're going to break it down and save the most parts for another meal. We're going to do the Breasts Thursday. Advice welcome. I'll post the results when we have them!!

I've done lots of ducks because I love 'em, but I've never broken one down. I really don't think that a duck will support that well and suggest you rethink your plan unless you find something like a step-by-step video, not just PIT opinions. I wouldn't even try to fully spatchcock a duck because they are long and narrow, more like a goose than chicken or turkey.

I've literally done dozens, and wouldn't break one down. I do perforate a potato close to the size of the cavity and slip that in to absorb duck fat and discard. I throw out the garbage sauce that comes with the duck and do more traditional seasoning, like rosemary and sage. Simon & Garfunkel would be a great approach to try & this is on my list for Easter.

I'd cook whole and then separate by carving for leftovers, and enjoy the dark and lighter breast meat together (not really white meat). I've never weighed a cook before and after but it seems by memory that a duck loses significant mass in the cooking process.

I stand corrected if I'm in the minority on this.

I've included a link to serving duck Peking style - one of my favorites.

Have a grate T-Day! (yes, on purpose...)

Comment

I usually break it down :-)

a duck can be cooked in many ways, just like other poultry. A few things are different: fattier skin, lean red meat. That means you cook it to a lower target temp.

You will be rewarded with fantastic flavor.

The one thing to watch out for is overshooting temps. If you do, it turns chewy very fast. Make sure you don’t go higher than 62 deg C (144 deg F) for duck breasts.

Here’s my recipe with lemon curd:
      Duck breasts have great flavor which is somewhere between game and domestic meat. In this recipe they are first smoked, then grilled using a lemon curd glaze. Citrus goes very well with duck.

And here’s my recipe with a dry rub (use any you like/prefer):
      Duck breasts are grilled fast, and their full-flavored meat is a great match for Hank’s Signature Seasoning. We’re grilling some endives also, they lend themselves well to open fire cooking.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        that DOES look glorious! and I LOVE some lemon curd. jsut bought a Meyer Lemon tree, so looking forward to growing my own!

I AM hoping to keep the legs and any extra bits from the carcass in a Confit style. I have seen nothing but good things about duck leg confit. my concern IS over temps. I know with Chicken & turkey the temps for breast and leg are different enough that you have to watch. and a duck is neither cheap nor something with which I have experience. My family aren't hunters so ducks weren't on the menu.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        There are some good ideas here: https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/

• Baltassar
        Baltassar commented
        Editing a comment
        The Hungry Mouse recipe looks pretty fool proof. Taking a good amount of time at 300 degrees deals with the crucial problem, which is rendering the fat. Crisping the skin is no different than chicken, but getting that fat out, that's the ticket. I have never found ducks that hard to break down.

Those are good looking links. I'll have to try cutting mine up sometime, but I'll get a BIG one...

My dad was from the country & my mom the city. He brought home a duck in a box that hit his truck (18-W). While he was trying to convince my mom that it would make a good dinner, the duck woke up and levelled everything in the kitchen. AND flew out when the French doors were opened.

True stories are sometimes the best...

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s funny!

MMD is fantastic on duck ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here