Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Pan/Grate Set Up Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Pan/Grate Set Up Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Like many others, I am gearing up for our Thanksgiving meal! I've cooked lots of turkeys and lots on the smoker, but not a turkey on the smoker. I plan to follow "The Ultimate Smoked Turkey" recipe in The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling (very much https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dapted-cooking

My question is about the actual set up of grill, gravy pan, grate turkey. In the recipe (in the book) it says "Ideally the grate should sit a few inches above the gravy pan so heat and smoke can travel between them."

Is there an alternative to something like what is pictured here: https://amazingribs.com/how-smoke-turkey-gas-grill ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey-gas-grill-lg.jpg?itok=rlRm4HOA.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	592782

I think I remove the grate on the grill, put the gravy pan directly on the grease tray (the metal sheet with holes), a rack or grate across the pan, and then the turkey on top. How do I get more room between the gravy pan and the turkey? Of course, I'm also thinking about making sure the grill closes properly too.

Thanks for any advice!

I think the keyword for your situation is "ideally". It would be an optimization, but probably isn't necessary for a good result.

Comment

I don't have your grill, but I would highly recommend you do a practice run before the big day.

Comment

I don't have a GMG, but do have a Blazin' Grill Works pellet smoker. Last weekend I did a turkey on it, and ran in to the questions you have. I took the grates and drip sheet out and placed a large reinforced aluminum foil pan on top of the heat deflector. The edges of the aluminum pan (17.25 inch pan) sat on the lip of the grill body, which supported the weight perfectly. I used a stacked set of cooling grates to elevate the turkey above the pan.

I got totally lucky that the pieces all worked out for me, but it did work perfectly.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback!

Comment

Well, you managed to slip under at least my radar, maybe everybody else’s also. Welcome aboard, eat good as it appears you are about to & have fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here